Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Am I missing anything ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 27, 2012 5:51:44 AM

I'm dorming next year and I want something good enough for light gaming and wont be obsolete in a few years. I don't want to spend more than $800 (not including a monitor, keyboard & mouse, speakers, etc ...).

Approximate Purchase Date: This month

Budget Range: $800 or less After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, photoshop

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, CD/DVD Drive, sound card

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, microcenter.com (theres a microcenter a few minutes from my house and they only charge 3.5% sales tax), pretty much w.e is the cheapest, i wouldn't mind splitting the purchase between websites.

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel processor, nvidia graphics

Overclocking: possibly

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: My biggest problem is that I dont know which parts work well together. I definitely want a SSD.


*EDIT* FINAL BUILD

CPU : Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

RAM : 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

SSD : m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Marvell Controller

PSU : CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Mobo : Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard ( $89.99 with a K series CPU )

Case : Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Computer Case

GPU : EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler

After taxes and rebates my total came out to $806 :D  :D  :D 

I'm open to new ideas, I don't know much about building, open to suggestions (added the Corsair 300R case, Corsair 500W PSU, and raised my budget to $800)

More about : missing

May 27, 2012 6:40:14 AM

not sure if i'll need a wireless card either. if i do, ill buy one later
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 7:06:14 AM

You seem to have picked decent parts. So adding a case and GPU seems to be all that's needed.

This is a good case at $80. High quality, long lasting, nice to work with...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If cheaper is needed, this is a really nice at $45...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video card is pretty much based on how much is left in your budget.

One of the new Nvidia 600 series or AMD 7000 series is the way to go.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 27, 2012 7:09:09 AM

The Corsair 300R is actually the case i was thinking of going with after doing a little bit of research, and if i haven't forgotten anything, im at $600 with that case. how much does a Nvidia 600 series or AMD 7000 series go for ?
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 7:12:20 AM

GTX 670 is $400 and a Radeon 7970 is $450.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 7:46:03 AM

nevermind then :D  what can i get for the remaining $130 ?
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 27, 2012 8:21:52 AM

please no NOT get the cooler master! it is a horrible PSU the cosair is much better quality.
don't make me pull my links to reviews out :lol: 
this is a great little card for the money, a little over budget upfront but falls in if you play the rebate game.
GIGABYTE GV-R777OC-1GD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB $139.99
$119.99 after mail-in rebate card
honestly though you are short changing your cpu by getting that low a a grfx card. :( 
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 10:04:42 AM

botasboke said:
nevermind then :D  what can i get for the remaining $130 ?


You can get a 128Gb SSD around that kind of money.
Crucial M4 is always a good choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yes, get the Corsair power supply, Coolermaster don't make good PSU's until you get to the top of their range. And yes you need 500W, id even suggest going higher to a 600W to be safe.

(God I'm jealous of you Americans, everything is so expensive in Australia. Same SSD, $33 more)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 10:15:44 AM

Maybe a nividia 560Ti would be more in your GPU price range, seems to be able to handle most games but only costs around half that of the 67

I agree with loonian you have a nice CPU there dont skimp out on the GPU.
In regards to your wireless card check out what your dorm is providing since most Mobo will take an ethernet cable with no card needed and to be honest if you can avoid Wi Fi all the better unless your like me and live in house with super thick walls where cabling is a nightmare.

Hope that helps I would quote prices but they'd be in pounds.
Good luck with your build.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 4:42:50 PM

what GPU can i get for $150-200 ?
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 5:41:21 PM

If your main concern is gaming then you can loose the Intel Core i5 3570K (if you don't intend to overclock), instead go for the Intel Core i5 3450 . Put the $40 into a better GPU , i would suggest HD7850 (around $240) . It makes for a far more balanced and future-proof system.

Edit: Found one for $230 with rebate : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 5:56:44 PM

i need a k series cpu to get a $50 discount on the mobo so it wouldnt make a difference
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 6:06:14 PM

Gpus for $150 to 200 are 560ti, 560, hd6870 or hd6950.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 6:09:29 PM

Goodeggray said:
Gpus for $150 to 200 are 560ti, 560, hd6870 or hd6950.


I'm not familiar with GPUs. Could you provide some links ?
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 6:12:52 PM

botasboke said:
i need a k series cpu to get a $50 discount on the mobo so it wouldnt make a difference


You don't need a Z77 motherboard if you are not overclocking, go for a H77 Motherboard like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

between Z77 and H77 all features are same just no overclocking on H77.

And if you are really strapped for cash then you can go for a B75 chipset mobo like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but you get only 1x PCIe 3.0 (for gpu) + 1xSata-iii (for ssd) , so not much room for upgrades.
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 6:21:24 PM

cyclotop said:
You don't need a Z77 motherboard if you are not overclocking, go for a H77 Motherboard like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

between Z77 and H77 all features are same just no overclocking on H77.

And if you are really strapped for cash then you can go for a B75 chipset mobo like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but you get only 1x PCIe 3.0 (for gpu) + 1xSata-iii (for ssd) , so not much room for upgrades.



so should i just go for that mobo with the i5-3450 ?
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 27, 2012 8:34:23 PM

botasboke said:
so should i just go for that mobo with the i5-3450 ?

since you're getting the cpu/mobo in a deal from microcenter, it would be a better to stick with that.

since Nvidia released their higher end card, GTX 690, 680 and 670 amd has dropped their prices. when the mid range cards are released; 660, 660ti 650 and 650ti in a few months and prices drop again that might be a good time to upgrade from what $150-$170 you get now . . which now a good choice would be a 7770.

the philosophy is to get the best gpu then cpu but those deals from microcenter makes it difficult not to go against "popular wisdom".
m
0
l
May 27, 2012 8:50:31 PM

Anonymous said:
since you're getting the cpu/mobo in a deal from microcenter, it would be a better to stick with that.

since Nvidia released their higher end card, GTX 690, 680 and 670 amd has dropped their prices. when the mid range cards are released; 660, 660ti 650 and 650ti in a few months and prices drop again that might be a good time to upgrade from what $150-$170 you get now . . which now a good choice would be a 7770.

the philosophy is to get the best gpu then cpu but those deals from microcenter makes it difficult not to go against "popular wisdom".


thats why i dont see a need to downgrade my cpu and mobo (since microcenter gives such a good combo deal). what video card would you reccomend for 200 or less.

i guess i might even consider overclocking now since it will be available. also , what games will this set up be able/not able to handle. and will i need any extra cooling equipment?
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 27, 2012 8:53:40 PM

botasboke said:
thats why i dont see a need to downgrade my cpu and mobo (since microcenter gives such a good combo deal). what video card would you reccomend for 200 or less.

i guess i might even consider overclocking now since it will be available. also , what games will this set up be able/not able to handle. and will i need any extra cooling equipment?

a cooler master hyper 212+ or evo are very good economical choices.
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 900M 1 GB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C31F2M/ref=asc_df_B005C31F...
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 560 1GB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051GK5K8/ref=asc_df_B0051GK5...
both suggested from
Best PCIe Card For ~$170: Tie
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

m
0
l
May 27, 2012 9:00:20 PM

Anonymous said:
a cooler master hyper 212+ or evo are very good economical choices.


will i need it though? and what about a video card for 200 and the gaming capacity ?
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 2:24:59 AM

For non-OCing, it is still useful to have. Cooler temps means a longer lasting PC.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 2:26:35 AM

azeem40 said:
For non-OCing, it is still useful to have. Cooler temps means a longer lasting PC.


can you tell the difference between the 2 graphics cards i posted ?
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 2:52:24 AM

Not much difference. The Amazon card is a good buy at $140 after MIR.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 3:19:12 AM

Goodeggray said:
Not much difference. The Amazon card is a good buy at $140 after MIR.


Is the microcenter one better though? because if it is, id rather just buy it from there
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:01:33 AM

You must live near a microcenter. There is a plus if you buy it from them. They hold clinics on how to build a computer for customers who buy the parts form them and you have their support.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:03:03 AM

i do live close to one, just a few minutes away
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:17:54 AM

someone please review final build ?
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:28:22 AM

Yep! It's the exact same card.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:30:09 AM

Ironslice said:
Yep! It's the exact same card.


so how's my build looking?
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:30:52 AM

Your build looks fricken awesome. AAAAH, I'm so jealous :S, can't afford it.
The only thing I was wondering is if you will have enough space with just a 128GB ssd.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 4:42:15 AM

Ironslice said:
Your build looks fricken awesome. AAAAH, I'm so jealous :S, can't afford it.
The only thing I was wondering is if you will have enough space with just a 128GB ssd.


can't remember at the moment but i have a 500 or 750gb external somewhere :D  lol
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 9:00:05 PM

so i'm not missing anything ? is my cooling sufficient ?
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 9:02:06 PM

Everything is good to go.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 9:06:31 PM

any recommendations to make it better?
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 29, 2012 9:27:40 PM

that is a strong build for that budget.

the *only* thing would be hack away at the build to gain a few dollars for an upgrade on the video card and that will NOT be worth it.

let me put it to you this way: i'd buy it :bounce: 
m
0
l
!