Need a TV Tuner / Video Doo-Hickey

MikeSD

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Doo-Hickey is my technical term for something I need but don't know what to call it. ;)

My requirements:

1) Must have TV Tuner or TV capture function, to allow viewing TV on my computer. Tuner isn't strictly required, unless it can also decode the cable signal, to replace my cable box. I can always use my cable box as the tuner if needed.

2) It must be capable of recording HD and high resolution video from my cable box. The quality of the video should be the equivalent of what you get with cable (i.e. no conversion to lesser quality video).

3) It must be able to save these files in a standard format (i.e. MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) that allows viewing on any PC, with common software available on most computers

4) It can be internal or external to my computer but must have the ability to electronically transfer videos to my PC

5) Must be able to display these videos as they are being recorded

6) It must be able to accept VCR inputs to capture video from old High-8 video tapes. I have about 300 High-8 tapes that need to be converted to electronic form.

I am currently using an internal Hauppauge HVR-1600, that can do this but WinTV 7 produces saved videos in a format with a .ts extension. .TS is a high def format that I guess I could convert but it does what I need. The only thing I'm not sure about is the quality of this video. I have been watching TV using this and the video doesn't look as good as it does from my cable box, directly to a TV.

Any suggestions on other good devices or cards that can do this?