Sign in with
Your question

Need help with a new built system, having problems! :(

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2012 8:34:51 AM

We have just built a new system, but me and my friend are having some problems. When we turn on the computer it gets to the Windows XP loading screen but then crashes and I hear the beep for when it starts up, and it comes up with the black screen giving me options such as starting it in safe mode.

I started it in safe mode and installed the motherboard disk features, but I left the catalyst control centre out because it clashes with the graphics installation I did after. We installed Catalyst Control Centre and all that, except Afterburner and AIWI because we thought that they may be causing the crashing. It still crashed but everything was ok until I installed the graphics card drivers. Got any ideas? Could it be that I don't have DirectX 9.0 installed but have the graphics drivers?

It does a restart after everything I install from the motherboard disk so I know that them programs aren't causing it.
I have updated the BIOS but that made it not recognise the OS so I reverted back to the old BIOS. Now, unless I start in safe mode it can't get past the loading screen without restarting and is stuck in a loop. Is Windows XP not compatible with my system or do I need to splash out for Windows 7? (I know with Windows 7 I can get DirectX11 but I didn't think its necessary just for that.)n

The Specs:
CPU - AMD FX 6100
Motherboard - ASUS M5A99X EVO (BIOS 1102)
GPU - MSI R6450 1GB DDR3
RAM - 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600MHz
PSU - Corsair Gaming Series 600W

Thanks in advanced for any help.

More about : built system problems

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2012 8:49:38 AM

Use win 7 64 bit

but in the meantime you can try the latest release of Ubuntu linux
May 27, 2012 8:57:37 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to splash out money for windows 7 but I did try the latest release of Linux to check it was not the hardware and it ran perfectly, no crashes or anything, but that had no drivers installed for the motherboard because I was not sure whether the motherboard drivers and graphics drivers would work with Linux.

So at the moment, I think its a software error (clashing drivers), got any ideas? Could a driver for the graphics be clashing with a driver for the motherboard?
Related resources
May 27, 2012 10:10:58 AM

Should I wipe the drive, install xp and then do all the updates straight away (update to SP3 etc.) then install the motherboard drivers and graphics drivers? It says all the drivers are compatible with Windows 7/Vista/XP so maybe it would work because it crashes after the graphics drivers install .NET Framework 2.0 and the updates will install 3.5 and 4.0 which may have fixes because .NET Framework has caused tons of problems on previous computers I've built?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2012 10:18:40 AM

windows, then the motherboard drivers , then additional drivers like the graphics
!