Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with a psu

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2012 2:56:05 AM

A friend of mine has the Ultra LSP750 PSU and he's looking to get a new full tower case for better cooling etc...

This is the PSU:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

These are the case he's looking to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Has anyone have used the Ultra PSU with any of these cases, or have made a build with it?

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
September 19, 2012 3:04:46 AM

I haven't used that PSU, but since it's an ATX PSU it will fit. There is the question of the length of the various cables, but that depends on the motherboard as well as the case.
m
l
September 19, 2012 6:55:05 PM

I havn't used that PSU either, Seems to be getting some decent ratings from people who bought it, and it does have 45amps on the 12v rail so thats good. And the PSU will fit in both of them cases without any problems.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 76 ) Power supply
September 19, 2012 7:08:13 PM

Viking2121 said:
and it does have 45amps on the 12v rail so thats good.

Eh, not really. That's only 540W for a supposedly 750W unit (and a TON of amps on the 3.3V and 5V rails to make up the difference...). Not very encouraging, and Ultra PSU's aren't exactly known for their quality.

Regardless, yes, it'll fit in any normal ATX case.
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
September 19, 2012 7:11:45 PM

Ultra is not a particularly well-regarded brand for PSUs. The pictures of that one in particular seem to be of two different units; one has a little voltage switch, and the other does not. In any case, the highest claimed efficiency is only 78%. Despite the lifetime warranty, I would not trust this PSU to be able to output what's on its label, and obviously it is not efficient and throws out a lot of heat. If your friend keeps the load on it to under 600W (likely unless he's running multiple high-powered graphics cards) it probably won't burn, but that doesn't mean its outputs are stable and in spec. Unless he knows his system is running hot (e.g. CPU at or over 60C), he's likely to see more overall improved system stability from a quality PSU than from a bigger case to lower his temps.
m
l

Best solution

September 19, 2012 7:54:07 PM

I have that PSU in my system (Asus P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K) in a HAF 922M ATX MidTower case. It will fit because it is standard ATX but the 12V 8-Pin cable just barely made it to the connector on the board. It is pretty much stretched over my video card and CPU cooler.
September 20, 2012 2:49:49 AM

Best answer selected by kromonox.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:51:31 AM

will305 said:
I have that PSU in my system (Asus P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K) in a HAF 922M ATX MidTower case. It will fit because it is standard ATX but the 12V 8-Pin cable just barely made it to the connector on the board. It is pretty much stretched over my video card and CPU cooler.

How much longer do you think the cable should be for the 4-pin connector on the top of the mobo?

Just so i can see if i can get a exention
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:37:11 PM

Well, for me it is just long enough to reach and the HAF is a pretty big case. I would say to be comfortable about 6-8 inches would be good for cable management.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:03:02 AM

Well I just built the PC today and the 4-pin needed about an inch or two (3cm or a bit more if ur Canadian(me :p )). So i would recommend getting a extender for this psu if anyone were to ever use this one in a full tower
m
l
!