PainfulOrpheus

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Recently I just bought a gigabyte 6770 and a new motherboard for crossfire with my other xfx 6770. I wouldve gotten the xfx again but amazon only had a used xfx so I went with this gigabyte one because in huge letters all over the box the description and everywhere said it was for crossfire. I get the card today and I am giddy as a school girl while I open the box to find a lump of crap sitting in the box. It has no place to put a crossfire bridge(which I bought for $10). I really doubt this will work with my xfx that has a bridge spot. Also, I have to show you guys a picture of this when I get back from school. It is a picture of the card and description it has an arrow pointing to where the bridge would usually go and says crossfire connector but it looks just like the card I have where it is just a flat surface with no spot for it. I mean wtf were they thinking? I heard you can do software crossfire but I wasn't sure if it would work or not, especially with another card that is ported for a bridge. My motherboard is a foxconn a9da-s which is still in the mail so I cannot test this. I wonder if I should RMA this card. btw my mobo only supports 8x x 8x so I don't know if it would be viable anyway if they did support software crossfire.

PainfulOrpheus

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Hey I know that some of them will work without a bridge but I have two different cards so I was worried about compatibility with them. I would try it now but the board I have now is mATX with one pcie slot. The new board has a 890gx NB and has 2 pcie slots and is in the mail and should be here by wednesday.

Gotcha. Wasn't sure which motherboard you had right now.

It doesn't matter that they are different brands. They are built on the exact same architecture...one might have slightly higher clocks than the other.

Before you do anything I would just test it out by putting in those 2 graphics cards, and see what happens. I am almost 100% sure it will work without a CF bridge.

Anyone with a similar setup - can you confirm 6770's work without a CF bridge?

PainfulOrpheus

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Im going to call gigabyte on my way to class and see what they say. Im sure that they made the card like this because it doesn't use the full bandwidth and can transfer data easily. I just wan'st sure about the 8x speed and compatibility. Regardless that picture in the manual made me actually LOL. Ill let you guys know.

PainfulOrpheus

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Well it seems Gigabyte is impossible to call. I just ran some benchmarks on this card and I was no very pleased. The completely underperformed my xfx card. furmark score 1608- xfx was 1978. The temps are better though. Oh and here is that sweet picture I mentioned.

zvbOF.jpg

and here is the card inside my case

Lpx2j.jpg