Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a z77 mobo for my system

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2012 2:03:39 PM

Im building my first PC rig and i have all the parts picked out except for the motherboard. Im using this PC for high end gaming and my budget is around $900. the core components are:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Intel Core i5-2500K
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB
ZOTAC ZT-60301-10P GeForce GTX 670

Which z77 mobo would be right for me. I see they range in price from about 130 to over 200, and while i want to keep the price low, i dont want to sacrifice features that will improve my system and future proof it. Also, any comments/help on the pieces ive already picked out would be very welcome
May 27, 2012 2:10:05 PM

for your build i would get some crucial ballistix sport or mushkin enhanced blackline ram. they are more low profile and are cheaper.

the second thing that i would change is to get an ivy bridge cpu. they are faster clock for clock.

the third thing is to get a cpu cooler such as the hyper 212 evo. you can get overclocking capabilities and quieter operation

a good z77 mobo is the asrock extreme4, the gigabyte z77x-ud3h or ud5 h (depends what features you want), the msi z77a-gd65, or the asus p8z77-v PRO.

for your video card, id suggest getting a non-reference version (if you like zotac get the amp) such as the asus directcu2
May 27, 2012 2:26:17 PM

It is fruitless to try to "future proof" a build.
The future will bring better price performance, making today's parts less attractive, depending on how far out you look.
Buy what you need today, and save some funds for the "future"

On the other hand, it is not wrong to build with a definite plan.
If you are planning on gaming with a single monitor, then a GTX670 is about as good as it gets.
If you are planning on triple monitor gaming, then make plans for sli.

Any Z77 motherboard will do for a single graphics card. Pick your favorite vendor.
There is no need for high end enthusiast motherboards unless you are intent on pushing your OC to maximum and dangerous levels.
Also, how many expansion slots do you need? Now, or in the future? For most of us, it is only one, for the graphics card.
A full ATX motherboard has 7 slots, a M-ATX will have 4.
If you have no need for sli, then consider a M-atx format which will usually be cheaper.
There are some nice smaller cases for them too.

For what it is worth,
I prefer the reference type cards with a direct exhaust cooler that gets heat directly out the back of the case.
the GTX670 runs cool.
Non reference coolers do a good job of cooling the gpu, but they then dump the heat back into the case where case cooling has to deal with it. That heats up both the cpu and gpu. Not so good.

For your budget, try to add a SSD for the OS and a few games. Everything will seem so much faster.
Related resources
May 27, 2012 3:26:53 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I was also wondering about my CPU. is the i5 2500K sufficient to work with the geforce 670, or is the new 3570K cpu worth considering. Its about a $40 difference and i want to make sure i get the best bang for the buck, and would not mind spending extra if i would get noticeable differences
May 27, 2012 3:46:48 PM

adampcpower said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I was also wondering about my CPU. is the i5 2500K sufficient to work with the geforce 670, or is the new 3570K cpu worth considering. Its about a $40 difference and i want to make sure i get the best bang for the buck, and would not mind spending extra if i would get noticeable differences

The 2500K is more than enough to drive a GTX670, and even stronger configurations.
You would be hard pressed to detect any real difference from a 3750K.
If you are near a microcenter, a 3570K is $190 and a 2500K is $170.
May 27, 2012 4:26:00 PM

geofelt said:
The 2500K is more than enough to drive a GTX670, and even stronger configurations.
You would be hard pressed to detect any real difference from a 3750K.
If you are near a microcenter, a 3570K is $190 and a 2500K is $170.

Microcenter sure has killer deals, its a shame all these deals are in-store pickup only! There isint a store in my entire state! :cry: 
May 27, 2012 4:32:06 PM

adampcpower said:
Microcenter sure has killer deals, its a shame all these deals are in-store pickup only! There isint a store in my entire state! :cry: 

It is not quite as good as it sounds. When you add in 8.5% taxes.
May 27, 2012 11:59:00 PM

i would pick up the ivy bridge because it uses pcie 3
!