Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 470 superclocked used?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2012 9:13:36 PM

My new system didn't have a video card yet, so I went out and grabbed an evga 550 ti to have something to use until the 660 ti comes out. Well I found a guy selling a used gtx 470 superclocked for $100.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My question is, how do used cards usually perform? It's a crazy good deal for the card, I just don't want it to crap out after 2 weeks. I know it's pretty subjective, and depends on how the card was run. The guy selling it said that he's selling it because he just got a new gaming laptop. Can anyone speak from experience on the safety of buying a used card?

More about : gtx 470 superclocked

a c 181 U Graphics card
March 27, 2012 5:10:31 AM

Do you know how long he has had the card? Ask him what games he played with that card. The cards life is in hours. So if he played eveyday for 2 to 4 hours running high fps under load.

If he has had it for over 6monts to a year or more I would not buy into it. Used electronics are not what you want to buy even on refurbish stuff as well.

If he hasn't had it for long and not a heavey gamer. Then I would either have him give you in writing a return for any reason in the first 30 days or have him show you how well it plays.

Then watch the temps to see if it gets hot over 80c would be a no go in my book. Other than that. You have the 550 and it isn't going to be long before the other card comes out.

I know this is long but all I am trying to do is look at the big picture. My self I would not do it. To much to worry about and you don't want some one's problems. Unless you know the chap. Good luck on what ever way you go.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2012 5:13:34 AM

a had purchased a gtx 460 which had been used for 1.5 years of ebay for $50 and it was doa.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2012 5:24:00 AM

#1 - Can your PSU handle a GTX 470?
#2 - Do you like to gamble?

My answer to both questions is "yes", so I'd buy it if the guy has some source of rep, like heatware. Obviously if you know the guy, it's an easy buy.
m
l
March 28, 2012 7:05:27 PM

I would definitely consider myself a gambler, but not a glutton for punishment. I would never hear the end of it from the wife about wasting money. Even if a used card lasted 4-6 months, that'd work for me. I just need something to last long enough until the gtx 600's come out, and all the prices settle so I can figure out which card to go with. I just want to be able to play with something until then.

I picked up a 550 ti from frys just to take it for a spin. I was thinking about taking it back and paying the difference on a 560 ti 448, but at that point I might as well just pick up another one and sli them. But then I'd kick myself if it would have worked out better getting a single 660 ti and adding one further down the road.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 3:02:45 AM

meeklo062704 said:
I would definitely consider myself a gambler, but not a glutton for punishment. I would never hear the end of it from the wife about wasting money. Even if a used card lasted 4-6 months, that'd work for me. I just need something to last long enough until the gtx 600's come out, and all the prices settle so I can figure out which card to go with. I just want to be able to play with something until then.

I picked up a 550 ti from frys just to take it for a spin. I was thinking about taking it back and paying the difference on a 560 ti 448, but at that point I might as well just pick up another one and sli them. But then I'd kick myself if it would have worked out better getting a single 660 ti and adding one further down the road.

No you don't want that, two 550 ti's in SLI. I can tell you from experience thay won't help you any more than the one 550. Get the 560 ti 448 core or the 560 ti card or the 570.

Any 3 of those cards will hold you over untill you can get the card you want. Then you could do two things either sale it on Ebay and recoupe most of your money or just keep it for a back up.

One more thing sale it to a friend who is looking for a card. I have two of the 550 ti's in SLI and I have or I should say my son on this rig when he plays BF3 Not good anything. But he muddles through it.

When I lived in Vegas Frys was my go to store even over Bestbuy. But I like nweegg, tigerdirect, and amazon can be added to my list of stores. I hope this helps you a little.
m
l
March 29, 2012 4:10:48 AM

Yeah, I meant take back the 550 ti, and just pay the difference to get the 560 ti 448. I'm trying to wait it out as long as I can because the prices are all obviously going to drop once the 670 and 660 come. So I'm still looking into a used card to hold me over until then. I would be annoyed if I put $300 into a card when I could have waited a few months and got 2 of them for almost the same price.

I'm finding a lot of gtx 460's, a 470 here and there, and a couple 560's all for around $100. I know video cards aren't the greatest thing to get used, but I only need 4-6 months out of it. Just wish there was a better way to tell. There are going to be some good ones floating around with everyone trying to dump their current cards to get some funds for a 680, but there are also some bad ones.
m
l
!