AMD Radeon HD 6990 graphics problems

alexkemple

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
So, I recently got an AMD Radeon HD 6990 with 4GB of memory designed by Diamond Enterprises. I now have graphics issue with my computer when attempting to run games, such as Battlefield 3 in the images. The screen turns to lines and eventually blue screens. This does;t happen with HD video, although it does get jumpy and glitchy. I have the Radeon on an MSI Z68A-G43 B3 MOBO, with 16.38 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i5 3.30GHz processor running Windows 7 64-bit. Temperatures are NOT hot whatsoever, so the problem isn't overheating. I have tried re-installing drivers, trying different drivers, adjusting resolution, checking if it works with individual RAM sticks, and moving the card to a different PCI slot, nothing has worked.

does anyone know what to do?

thanks

This is with it running normally
photo-1-1.jpg

And with it in the process of crashing
photo-2.jpg

And Blue Screen
photo-3.jpg

alexkemple

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well... I used a Driver Sweeper to remove the previous GPU drivers and reinstalled using the Diamond provided CD, which has the latest drivers since the GPU is pretty new, and it got MUCH worse... see the photo...
The display is so poor that you can't navigate the computer period...

photo-5.jpg

RussK1

Splendid
Download Catalyst 12.3 here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2858&file=1&evp=ba3204f4f8a1ff05c34a01405bf0b806

Download but don't install.

Download Driver Sweeper here~

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/Installer.html

#1 Open "Control Panel" and click "uninstall a program"
#2 Click on "AMD Cat install manager" and "custom uninstall", pick everything.
#3 Reboot
#4 Run Driver sweeper and check box "AMD" and "analyze" next "clean" and reboot
#5 Reboot
#6 Install Cat 12.3 that you previously downloaded

RussK1

Splendid

I have 2 6990's and I had that problem with Cat 12.1...

Enter "Safe mode"
Open the start menu and "right click" "computer" and click on "manage"
Open "device manager", expand "display adapters" and right click "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series" and pick "uninstall"
Reboot

RussK1

Splendid

Nice! [:russwood1488:5]

edit: by the way, did you by chance use "Driver Cleaner"? If so, don't. I got a full copy of it from Sapphire and used it one time and it wreaked havok on my machine... it definately cleaned house! :) not good.