Sign in with
Your question

Cpu fan speed and speedfan.

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2012 9:15:10 AM

Hello, I'll be short. It's been something that bugged me for a while now. I use to change the speed of my cpu's fan using speedfan to make it silent (when I sleep) anyway, my point is, the next day when like I wanna get it back to normal is it damaging if like from 30(%) I set it to 100(%) all of a sudden? Can that damage anything? PSU or anything? Or I should go like 40(%) wait a bit, 50(%) wait a bit.

The range of the RPM is like 800 (30%/50%) to 1600(100%) now that's really cold.

Summary :

Is it damaging in speed fan to set the cpu's fan speed from 30(%) to 100(%) all of a sudden? Or should I increase slowly?

More about : cpu fan speed speedfan

a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 9:27:25 AM

It should not be damaging to the fan or PSU,

Because it is a small, light load, the inertia is small and hence doesn't cause severe mechanical stresses.

Also, due to the motor already being spinning there is not significant "inrush current", and even going from 0 -100% the wiring is quite fine gauge and the voltage is quite low so the max inrush is very small too.

These fans are designed to be operated this way so I do not think there is a problem at all. They will be more damaged by build up of dust and stuff. So keep it clean (maybe dust it down once every 6 months).

Also, you are more likely to hurt something by using a vacuum. It is possible to get the fan turning very quickly, and a motor that is spun with external force behaves like a dynamo (generator). This could in theory lead to burning out the motor/wiring...
September 19, 2012 12:01:58 PM

Oh thank you for the info, i keep it cleaned yes, like I use those ear sticks and rub them against the cpu's heatsink, it collects dust nicely but thanks for clarificationm.
September 19, 2012 12:13:16 PM

I think your main concern is burning out the fan because you have it at 100% most of the time. I would get another fan to have handy just in case the one u have now dies.
!