5 Bitcoin Reward for Card Solutuion

KBundy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Greetings all,

A 5 bitcoin reward is up for grabs here for anyone that can help me to success.

This is the situation:

-MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX AMD Motherboard

-TWO 1gb XFX Radeon 6950's

-another Asus Radeon 5850 (The three graphics cards in the rig are all watercooled using swiftech gpu waterblocks.)

-Antec HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

-AMD Sempron 130 Sargas 2.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket

-PNY 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module

-Seagate Barracuda ST3160316AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

2012-03-23_22-49-02_648.jpg

This is the problem, me and my technical lead on this project before hooking up all the tubing and filling the system with coolant tested each of the cards individually in the first slot of the mother board, and each of the them booted properly. Upon booting the computer after the system was all set up with the three cards all in, the computer boots using the Asus 5850 as the "chosen card" to put out a display. When windows boots up, I cannot see the 6950's at all, it's almost as if the computer cannot find the cards? We tested each of the slots on the mo-bo with the 5850 and all the slots work. If all the cards worked at the beginning, and all the slots work, why can the computer not recognize the cards now?

Very strange indeed, unsure how to approach this situation so I figured I would turn to you guys, the experts. Be happy to provide any more details you may need about the situation and can ask my technical director about anything I can't answer immediately.

Peace,
KBundy

Well I'm pretty sure the 5850 doesn't crossfire with the 6950 as shown in this here chart.
187d6431_AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpeg

The 5850 definitely will not work with 2 6950's. You're better off just using the 2 6950's and being done with it. Then again, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty darn positive.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Not quite... bitcoin exchange rate is at $5 per coin I think.

Try just the two 6950's then try with a 6950 and the 5850. If you don't have issues using the 6950 with the 5850 then it's something pertaining to having all 3 connected such as power, placement, ect.

julzau

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

That's *why* there is so much support for bitcoins from people of all different backgrounds around the world.
If it did depend on 'the creator', or even any one company... people wouldn't be so interested in the concept!

KBundy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hello all,

I believe we have gotten a little of topic, yes bitcoin is interesting, but the reward here is for solving this card problem.

@hugostiglitz- Like I said each card takes up two slots of space so it would be near impossible to do the first setup, the second is what is currently set up.

@Deemo13- Even without crossfire, the system should be able to at least see the cards right?

@AidanJC- Moving the card to the top seems logical but would also entail draining the watercooling system, and reconfiguring the circuit. Very troublesome, if there is another test I could try before resorting to that it would be preferable.

Thanks everyone,
KBundy

julzau

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I had trouble recognizing both an onboard GPU and a card on an ASUS board, but a bios upgrade seemed to fix it.

I see your motherboard's latest firmware says: "Update CPU AGESA code." which as far as I can see is something to do with initialising devices.

Have you updated to the latest bios?

RulerOf

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
If you're not opposed to installing a hypervisor (VMware ESXi), I can solve your problem.

Contact me here, through email (my username, at gmail), or on skype (also my username), and I can provide you with a solution that works for me, with the same hardware, using 5850 (x3) and a 6870 (x1).

Based on the reward you're offering, it's well worth the time we'll likely spend on the configuration (about 2 hours).

Cheers.

Andrew Bobulsky

KBundy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Andrew,

Just posting again in case you didn't receive my message, would be interesting in your remote solution. Send me a message on here, or you can email me, Thanks!

-Kevin

KBundy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Mightymaxio,

Appreciate the concern, an admin or moderator has removed the email from the thread as well lol.

UPDATES!

-updated the bios (still can't see the 6950's)

-took the 5850 out and tried just the 6950's, no go (weird part was that I did get a flash of a picture upon booting using one of the 6950's but then it went away immediately. Checked to see if it could see the cards again and still only wants to recognize the 5850. >_< Had my fingers crossed but no go....)

-PM'd Andrew B. hoping he would know what the problem was because he sounded confident but he still hasn't gotten back to me... :(

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Forever loyal to you and your crown,
-Kevin

Ozcoin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
ok, i have 4 gd70s, and way too many gigabyte 6950's, had some xfx thru, but as bitcoin miners they didnt impress me :) I can try, tho watercooling I dont do, I do have bitcoin mining contacts that watercool.

What bios did you update to? One miner has found a particular bios version is better for mining- I'll check that
sometimes clearing the bios by popping the battery for 5 mins can get these boards back on their feet.
Does the machine actually boot with a single 6950 (either of them), and if so where is the point of failure?
if it boots to windows what driver/sdk version you are running?
Double check all 6pin power connectors are firmly seated (both ends if you are using modular cables).
If the machine isnt booting, test your ram.
and of course something no one likes to ask: you didnt damage the 6950s while uninstalling fans/installing watercooling?
Hope thats a help
if you are able to go on freenode irc pm me here for chanel details, I really find troubleshooting issues like this easier in irc than forum format :) happy to help if I am able.

terpsfan726

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

not sure if i saw this anywhere in the OP, but have you tried putting dummy plugs into the cards hat dont go to the monitor. Here is a link to how to make onehttp://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

You plug it in to the video card and it makes the os believe that you are using a monitor for the card so it can use its full potential

RulerOf

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
have you tried putting dummy plugs into the cards hat dont go to the monitor?

Even if he did, it probably wouldn't make a difference (if I recall the issue correctly, that is!). Dummy plugs will make the cards respond for the AMD APP SDK, but I believe that was changed with version 11 or 12. They should still show up in device manager, though!

unsquidly

Honorable
May 12, 2012
[quote[/quote]

Did you ever solve this problem? If not email me @unsquidly@aol.com and we can figure out a way to chat so I can solve this issue for you....I am pretty sure I know what the problem is and the fix for it...