Sign in with
Your question

Computer starts, posts, runs, then shutsdown

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2012 5:57:08 PM

Hello,

I am digging out some old computer parts to try and put together a home server for fun.

I'm currently using:
  • K8NF4G-SATA2 motherboard
  • 2 GB OCz PC 3200 DDR400 RAM stick
  • 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 processor socket 754
  • Random Thermatake 400W PSU

and that is all I have set up so far.

The Problem:
    I start up the computer, I get a post (usually one beep, sometimes 2 or 3 nonrepeating) Then I get the setup screen. I don't have a HD plugged in yet, but I see the setup screen for a bit and I can get into BIOS, then randomly my computer shuts down. I turn it back on with the same result: 4-10 seconds of up time, then powers off.

I've used many different memory sticks, so I'm hesitant that is the problem. Maybe the motherboard has just gone bad?

Other Thoughts:
  • I don't have it plugged into a case power button I just use a screwdriver expect...
  • When I turn on the PSU, the computer automatically starts up and posts. (I don't need to connect the +/- power prongs with my screwdriver)

Any thoughts/advice would be great, Thanks!
    May 28, 2012 11:14:22 PM

Hey thanks for the reply!

I already read through that sticky before I posted. Upon taking a second look I tried removing my RAM stick and seeing if I got a POST (The suggestion of the breadboarding guy).

The first time I started it, I got 3 short beeps repeating for about 10 times, then I restarted and got 3 short beeps once, and then upon restarting there were no beeps for a couples time.

Then I let the computer sit:
  • restarted, got 2 beeps then nothing
  • restarted, got 1 beep then nothing
  • and then no beeps for all the restarts afterwords.

Is it fixable? Or just a dead motherboard. Thanks

P.S.(Beep codes I was looking at:

• 1 short- DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
  • 2 short Memory parity error- A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
  • 3 short- Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad)
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b B Homebuilt system
    May 29, 2012 2:54:59 AM

I'd try a different stick of ram before swapping the motherboard...
    m
    l
    May 29, 2012 5:56:56 AM

Try combinations of sticks in different slots. Sometimes a dimm goes bad. During all this testing, do you have a cpu cooler attached with paste?
    m
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    May 29, 2012 6:04:34 AM

in his opening post he notes that he only has one stick of ram. when replacing it you should place it in slot 0.
    m
    l
    May 30, 2012 2:40:43 AM

Hey Thanks for the suggestions!

I do have a HSF on my processor. It is just the stock one. I thought it might be overheating to shutdown early, but then when I don't have a stick of RAM installed at all the computer stays on indefinitely.

I installed 3 different sticks of RAM testing first in slot 0 then in slot 1.

• DDR400 RAM computer starts, posts, then shuts itself off
  • 1st DDR333 RAM computer doesn't post, run forever
  • 2nd DDR333 RAM computer posted once, then repeated the same as the 1st.

I'm thinking something is screwy with my RAM sockets on the mobo, or there is a short somewhere :??: 

Thanks for the help.
    m
    l
    !