What all to consider when buying a psu?

assassin1234

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,
i am planning to buy a new power supply for my system which contains a hd6670
should i srictly go for a psu with good amps on the +12 v rail or just look at the wattages.(example like ; 400w,300w)
my total recommented psu wattage is 235w according to the psu calculator.
so can i go for the antec bp300(300w)psu
http://www.antecindia.co.in/product.php?id=NzA0NDA2
(check this please)
i will not be overclocking or going for any further upgrades

Solution

You haven't given the rest of your specs, can't imagine them being very high if the calculator only gave you 235w
Playing Crysis with an overclocked I7-920
36850.png

Doesn't take efficiency into account, let's be generous and say they...

jijomathew

Honorable
May 27, 2012
first look for amp rating,always aim high amp rating.next watts and efficiency.standard 80+ or better is must to keep your electricity bill down.as already stated leave some headroom.dont go for psu on calculated basis.a psu with less load have high life span than running at full load.aim for 400w or 500w+ so this give option to upgrade later.corsair is the brand i trust in psu.

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
looks like the bp300 only has one 4 pin ATX connector. I'm just guessing, but you probably need an 8 pin (4+4). Also, I agree with what jijomathew was saying, you don't want to cut it too close. Antec makes some good power supplies, check out the Earthwatts:

http://www.antecindia.co.in/product.php?Family=MTE=

You haven't given the rest of your specs, can't imagine them being very high if the calculator only gave you 235w
Playing Crysis with an overclocked I7-920
36850.png

Doesn't take efficiency into account, let's be generous and say they used a 90% efficient psu
198 x .9 = 178w load or about 60% of a 300 watt power supplies capacity
You would have to be running a heck of a system for the BP300 to not be able to handle a 6670

Solution

dankev

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

You've made a couple posts now to ask the same question. You mention in the other post that you will be using a g620, and you have no plans to upgrade the machine later.
You've received 2 types of responses: 1) That the PSU is plenty adequate for that system, and if you don't plan to upgrade, it will be fine. 2) That if you ever upgrade to a more powerful system, you may want a more powerful PSU.

I don't know what else you're hoping to hear. You have to decide for yourself based on that information.