Sign in with
Your question

Unrecognized USB

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2012 1:46:54 PM

Hi,

I have a pair of Logitech Z Cinema Speakers (and Sub) and they connect via USB. I have used them about 5 times and they worked fine (with minor inconveniences). Yesterday I came home and booted my computer up. The speakers were on, but no sound was coming out. I disconnected the USB & power and replugged it in and the speakers started making weird noises. Then my computer informed me that my USB driver wasn't being installed correctly.

I've tried literally everything I can think of (Shutting down, unplugging, restarting, uninstalling driver, uninstalling entire program and reinstalling it, checking for updates etc). I'm out of solutions. No matter what I do I still get an error message in the bottom right of my screen when I plug the USB up.

The best I've gotten it to do was start installing the driver (instead of just the error message) but then I get a message that says the driver wasn't installed correctly. I've tried almost all of my USB ports, and I know other devices work fine in those ports because I tested it last night.

I left the speakers unplugged all night and am going to try a different outlet when I get home. I have a feeling it won't work though.

*In device manager it shows as Unknown Device

Any help? Thanks so much.

P.S. I've googled probably 30 things and haven't found the solution. Next on my list is to just call the Z Cinema hotline...

More about : unrecognized usb

September 19, 2012 2:17:54 PM

If you tried 2 or more USB ports and it does the same thing in all of them, that tells me it isn't related to USB ports.

If the speakers previously worked in whichever power outlet and you are still using that same one, I would assume that the power outlet still works. I haven't ever seen a 120v wall power outlet go bad, although I have seen a surge protector outlet go bad before.

If its in a surge protector you might try plugging it directly into the wall or another surge protector outlet, but I don't expect it to really make a difference going from wall to wall.

Whatever you did with these speakers last time they actually worked, was it something that could potentially have damaged them in some way? Like did you play loud music and potentially blow the speakers?

Even if you did play loud music and blow the speakers I would expect that it would work just with bad sound quality, but I am kinda grasping at straws here.

Did the speakers ever fall off the desk or wherever they are at? Did anyone pull hard on the cable and possibly break a connection to the electronic stuff inside the speakers?

If the Windows can't communicate with the hardware inside the speaker correctly, it would potentially think that you have the wrong driver installed, so those last two are very serious questions to answer, as are others in that vein.

In any event, the warranty hotline at Logitech might be more the number you need to be calling.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:18:40 PM

I would try uninstalling the driver and then re-installing it, also try another USB port.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2012 2:22:16 PM

Nope, although I would have liked to have thrown them out of the window quite a few times.

The only thing I did was unplug the speakers from the outlet while the computer was on (and the speakers) and replug it back in. As soon as it got power it started making weird noises. It still makes weird noises if I unplug it and plug it back in while the computer is on.

I am using a surge protector, but I know it has power because my other components work. I'm just going to try it directly into the wall when I get home. It's one thing after another with these speakers. If they didn't sound so dang good I wouldn't worry about it.

Hearing sound come out of them makes everything better..
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:25:44 PM

chugot9218 said:
I would try uninstalling the driver and then re-installing it, also try another USB port.

Uninstall in Device Manager? I've done that a few times. I've uninstalled, then rebooted so it would recognize the USB but it still shows up unknown.

I've also tried about 8/10 of my USB ports (I've concluded it's not the ports - other components work fine in them).

I've physically deleted the driver from it's folder and restored it to a previous date.

I've uninstalled the program, and deleted the Logitech folder, then reinstalled. Same problem.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:27:55 PM

It is possible that unplugging them while the computer is on could do some sort of damage to them, but the chances of that are really remote.

I would think it would take something a whole lot more substantial to cause what you are experiencing, like someone physically tripping over the cable.

- Edit - I would have to also assume that the damage occured sometime prior to the unplugging and replugging when the computer was on, I forgot to mention that. That makes the likelihood of this causing damage even less.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:48:52 PM

Raiddinn said:
It is possible that unplugging them while the computer is on could do some sort of damage to them, but the chances of that are really remote.

I would think it would take something a whole lot more substantial to cause what you are experiencing, like someone physically tripping over the cable.

- Edit - I would have to also assume that the damage occured sometime prior to the unplugging and replugging when the computer was on, I forgot to mention that. That makes the likelihood of this causing damage even less.

That makes sense. They're odd speakers. The only thing with it happening before I got home to unplug it is that the speakers were on when I got there (I left them on overnight on accident). They were on but no sound was coming out. I don't see anything having happened to them while I was away.
m
l
September 19, 2012 3:14:27 PM

If they are on overnight with no sound coming out that wouldn't cause any kind of damage.

Anyway, feel free to do any of the other tests I mentioned, but warranty support seems to be what you are looking at from where I sit.
m
l
!