leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
hi
i have been facing issues due to power surges. i am searching for a good UPS. i have read the UPS faq's on this site. and have a few options, please suggest the best one. my main concern is the delivery of clean and continuous power to my pc and not so much the back up.

APC Home UPS Inverter 850VA (BI850SINE)
APC Back UPS 1000 (BR1000G-IN)

or a more economical
APC Back UPS 700VA (BE700Y-IN)
APC Back UPS 650 (BE650Y-IN)

kindly suggest if the more economical options are good enough for my pc, or if i should go for a more powerful but more expensive one.

my pc

MS Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Phenom II X4 965
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2827MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASRock 970 Extreme3
1024MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (ZOTAC International)
112GB Corsair Force 3 SSD ATA Device
466GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD502HI
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device
corsair gs600 psu

thanks

jijomathew

Honorable
May 27, 2012
1000va or better,
1000va gives 600w so aim higher for good backup
in my option apc 1500va/865w ups is best fo you,personally i used it

Your PSU is an active PFC unit (which is good). Many such PSUs are sensitive to waveform. Cheaper UPS units use a stepped sine wave which "lingers" at 0V rather than crossing it quickly at each cycle the way a true AC waveform does. Some PSUs see this as bad power and will shut off; my Delta-built Antec SG-650 is this way, and some of the Delta-built Earthwatts units are also sensitive. From other forum posts I've found in various places, this may be mostly a Delta issue; I've not personally tested the Seasonic PSUs I have in use, because I replaced my UPS units with a true-sine model (from APC) and also got one of the APFC models from Cyberpower. Both work flawlessly with my SG-650. The former has a true sine wave, and the latter uses a clipped triangle wave that crosses 0V quickly the way an AC voltage would.

InvalidError

Titan

My Earthwatt 650AD (Seasonic) works perfectly fine with my "cheap" $200 (back when I bought it many years ago) Back-UPS RS1000 which uses stepped sine wave, as have all other PSUs I have used with it.

Correctly designed APFC circuitry has no problem dealing with stepped approximation.

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
thanks guys, i will go with the APC Back UPS 1000 (BR1000G-IN). I guess bigger is better.
how often will i have to change battery and how much maintenance will a UPS require?

and is this normal for a ups of this size
Audible noise at 1 meter from surface of unit : 45.00 dBA

dingo07

Distinguished

relatively No maintenance, and probably get about 3 years out of the battery if your lucky

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
thanks and i have an issue with my pc. when i switch on my pc all the components start working but my boot ssd which i found out because the hdd led dosent light up. this issue was happening even when i was using hdd and my old mobo..
i have to switch off from wall socket and switch on several times before the ssd starts to work and til then i keep getting 'no display'
on scren . even mobo logo dosent show up.

is this issue related to the power issue or is it my psu dying.

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

thanks again, i am very sure i will get the APC Back UPS 1000 (BR1000G-IN) now and i am geting help with my new psu purchase as well.. thanks for the advise

InvalidError

Titan

The UPS itself requires no maintenance.

Depending on how often the UPS has to go on battery and how long, battery swaps can be anywhere from two to six years. On my UPS, batteries average around five years.

When the UPS is operating on mains power, it should be practically silent since the power is simply going through the UPS' surge suppression and filtering passive circuitry. The noise rating you were looking at likely only applies for buck/boost/battery operation, which is perfectly fine IMO since the noise lets you know the UPS did something. If my UPS was silent all the time, I would start wondering whether it is dead or not.