First PC build, graphics question.

hjz

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I just completed my first homebuilt PC and successfully installed Windows 7 on it. I am now trying to get the picture to fit onto my HDTV screen. I have an MSI N560GTX-TI graphics card and i was wondering how do i set it to my 1920x1080 tv? I have it pretty close right now, but it is just a little bit too big and the corners are cut out.

When i am looking at my display setting, it has the "recommended" resolution at 1280x720. However, when i set the resolution to 1920x1080 and hit apply, i lose a little bit more of the total screen but all the icons and windows appear really small.

Sorry if this is a stupid question haha, i just don't know a lot about computers!

Thanks!

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
When you turn up the resolution on a display, everything will appear smaller because the pixel density increases. Think about it like a grid (because that's what it is) - if, on a 30" TV, you have it set to 1280x720, the grid will stretch out over all 30". When you change the resolution to 1920x1080, the grid has to shrink down to fit within those same 30".

As far as the borders are concerned, that's an issue with your TV - there should be a setting somewhere on your television that deals with it - probably called something like 'Screen Adjustment' or 'Screen Cropping' or something like that. Browse through the TV's options menu and look for it.