First PC build, graphics question.

hjz

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I just completed my first homebuilt PC and successfully installed Windows 7 on it. I am now trying to get the picture to fit onto my HDTV screen. I have an MSI N560GTX-TI graphics card and i was wondering how do i set it to my 1920x1080 tv? I have it pretty close right now, but it is just a little bit too big and the corners are cut out.

When i am looking at my display setting, it has the "recommended" resolution at 1280x720. However, when i set the resolution to 1920x1080 and hit apply, i lose a little bit more of the total screen but all the icons and windows appear really small.

If it matters, I'm using an HDMI setup

Sorry if this is a stupid question haha, i just don't know a lot about computers!

Thanks!

the icons are a fixed number of pixels in size which is why they appear smaller at higher resolutions

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-resize-desktop-icon-in-windows-vista/

set the resolution to 1080p [ same as tv]

Set the TV picture aspect to 16:9

Definitely agree with the above, but also one other thing to consider: When you're using a real TV for a monitor, chances are you're sitting much farther away than you would be with a desktop monitor. So the fact that the TV is several times bigger is canceled out by that, and it actually occupies a smaller percentage of your field of view.

Which is why I've always found that such a setup is great for watching movies and video - but for general use and gaming, once the coolness of "hey neat, I can sit on my couch and play on a ridiculously oversized monitor" wears off, it's outweighed by those practical considerations.

With gaming in particular, a lot of games intended for the PC were designed with the assumption that you wouldn't be sitting far away, so you'll run into non-adjustable text that's too small to see from 10 or 15 feet away. It also tends to be a lot more difficult and less comfortable to use a keyboard and mouse from the typical couch-and-coffee-table height while looking up at the screen; you're bending way forward the whole time.

Now, what's REALLY good for gaming is to get a card table that you can set up close to the TV with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Then you get the best of both worlds.

There is, which is basically what the guy above me was talking about.

I was just talking about actually playing games, where you may or may not have the option to zoom or increase text size.