Sign in with
Your question

Noisy fan on startup, RAM speed, and possible damage

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2012 8:22:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I just put together a desktop PC and would like to hear some input regarding a few issues I'm having. First and foremost, I'm not into overclocking and really just put the machine together for casual gaming (for not-so-intensive games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3).

Here's everything I purchased:

Intel Core i5 3550 processor
Intel DH77EB uATX motherboard
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU
Intel 330 120GB SSD
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 graphics card
Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 RAM
ASUS PCE-N15 wireless network adapter
Cooler Master 120mm 2000rpm exhaust fan
Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E uATX case

1. After I thought I was finished assembly, I turned on the machine and it would turn on for a split second and then turn off. Turns out I missed the 4-pin 12V connection that the motherboard manual specifically says not to forget as it "may result in damage to the board". After plugging it in, everything is working, but I'm concerned that there may be damage to something (although I'm not sure what). Is there any way I can test to make sure all my components are okay? I have Intel Desktop Utilities running and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe it's all in my head and I shouldn't worry about it?

2. Whenever I power on my PC, I hear a fan start up (suspected to be CPU, but I could be wrong), which gets pretty noisy, accelerating for maybe 5 seconds until it reaches a maximum and then quiets down. It sounds abnormally loud as none of my previous desktops have ever done this and it doesn't seem like a fan speed that is used under normal usage. Is this a characteristic of the motherboard? The PSU? The CPU? Should I be concerned?

3. Lastly, I thought my RAM speed should be at 1600MHz, but according to Intel Desktop Utilities, it's running at 1333MHz. I read somewhere that I should activate XMP in the BIOS, which I did, but even after saving the setting, Intel Desktop Utilities still reported RAM speed at 1333MHz. Am I missing something? I thought 3rd gen Intel cores in conjunction with my H77 motherboard should support 1600MHz RAM.

Any help is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Ryan
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
May 27, 2012 8:58:23 PM

missing the 12v power wont hurt the mb as the power supply did not power on. the mb did not have it full power so it never turned on. if you want to test your system there prime95 and intel burn in that test your cpu and memtest for the ram.
as your running the burn in i run hardware monitor to watch the cou and gpu temps. if the cpu starts hitting 60c or hotter check that you have the cpu fan running and that the heat sink is all they way down.
2. all gpu fans do this now it part of the video card bios. to check that the gpu fan is working. if you have a nvidia card you can use program called msi afterburner to turn the gpu fan up to see if that was the fan sound you heard a post.
3. cpu-z under the memory and spd tab will show the jtag info of the ram rated speed. in the mb there should be an over clock profile called xmp.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2012 9:26:46 PM

1333 Mhz is the default speed for SB and IB processors . You will have to manually change it to higher speeds

If your comp runs there is no damage . Electronics work or they dont .

Nice case .

Try isolating the fans to see which is the problem . Disconnect the case fans one at a time to see if the noise changes .
Are they plugged in to the mb headers or in to the psu directly?
If in the psu you can quieten them with a voltage mod to the cables
Related resources
May 28, 2012 12:14:44 AM

Thanks for your input, guys. For the fan noise, it's definitely the CPU fan. When I do a cold start, the fan doesn't spin for a few seconds and then kicks in. The following video shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7U-ussJUpk&feature=yout...

Doesn't seem normal to me, but I'm not sure whether it's the motherboard or the CPU that's at fault. Or maybe the motherboard simply waits until the CPU reaches a certain temperature before activating the fan? I saw in the BIOS though that the CPU fan speed was dropping from 3000rpm to the normal ~1000rpm.

Again, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
May 28, 2012 12:35:40 AM

check that you have the 0071 bios installed it tell you under mb info in the bios. there was one other bios under the 0071 and then the first bios that came out. what your fan is doing is how the fan settings are in the bios. it reving up to max speed then spinning down. i would look at the fan setting (max on speed or temp and see if you can change the fan profile.) i would see if someone you know has a fan or see if intel will send you a fan and see if the replacment or another cpu fan does the same thing if it does it a bios issue withth fan header and you should email intel about that bug.
!