Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a PC after 8 years

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 27, 2012 8:25:52 PM

I just assembled my first PC after 8 years and it turned on on the first try :bounce: 

Thing is, I have a few questions. My first surprise was the lack of an IDE controller, so none of my optical drives will find a place in the new system untill this arrives: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200470427136?ssPageName=STRK:... - can someone confirm it will do the trick?

I bought a Gigabyte Z77-D3H and an Intel 330 SSD. I have a few other HDDs, so until I get my buddy's optical external drive and install Win 7, I picked up an HDD that had a Ubuntu installation and it worked without a hitch (connected it via the front panel's eSata). Later on I moved it inside the case and installed an extra 2.5 sata hdd. Now the only way I can boot from my ubuntu hdd is if I disconnect the other two drives. I go to the boot menu and I only see my empty SSD. I see the other two in the BIOS menu, so they're working fine... Can someone shed a light on this? The manual didn't help...

More about : building years

May 27, 2012 8:44:32 PM

Glad to hear your build went okay.

I am also in the same seat as you with the IDE drives.
I want to pick up a certain DVD drive, but it is an IDE device, and my motherboard (like many nowadays) doesn't have an IDE plug.
May 27, 2012 9:03:14 PM

most new dvd drives that also burn now are in the 17-20. price range on most web pages like micro center..new egg and tiger direct. it not worth it using a card that could short out and take your mb with it.
Related resources
May 27, 2012 9:08:32 PM

karbono said:
I just assembled my first PC after 8 years and it turned on on the first try :bounce: 

Thing is, I have a few questions. My first surprise was the lack of an IDE controller, so none of my optical drives will find a place in the new system untill this arrives: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200470427136?ssPageName=STRK:... - can someone confirm it will do the trick?

I bought a Gigabyte Z77-D3H and an Intel 330 SSD. I have a few other HDDs, so until I get my buddy's optical external drive and install Win 7, I picked up an HDD that had a Ubuntu installation and it worked without a hitch (connected it via the front panel's eSata). Later on I moved it inside the case and installed an extra 2.5 sata hdd. Now the only way I can boot from my ubuntu hdd is if I disconnect the other two drives. I go to the boot menu and I only see my empty SSD. I see the other two in the BIOS menu, so they're working fine... Can someone shed a light on this? The manual didn't help...


hmm, well the only way to know for certain if it works is to try it and see. It looks a little dubious to me, especially the price given.

I haven't owned a mobo yet with no IDE at all, probably won't unless I really can't help it. Really though, in the US SATA DVD burners can be found for less than $20. It really wouldn't cost that much to move to the new interface, and it would make your life easier.
Anonymous
May 27, 2012 9:27:47 PM

ide to sata, actually pata to sata, adapters can be a work around but they can get flonky and not be 100% reliable. as was suggested a dvd burner is rather inexpensive.

now i am going to GUESS and believe since you 'installed' ubuntu then the other HD that ubuntu is not going to mount the drive since it doesn't know its there.

and you are not seeing them in the grub boot menu because when grub 'installed' it numbered how many and what drives you had. changing that configuration will make it flonky.

however i have only limited experience with ubuntu you may find better and more correct answers on the linux forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-50.html
May 27, 2012 9:46:00 PM

Anonymous said:
ide to sata, actually pata to sata, adapters can be a work around but they can get flonky and not be 100% reliable. as was suggested a dvd burner is rather inexpensive.

now i am going to GUESS and believe since you 'installed' ubuntu then the other HD that ubuntu is not going to mount the drive since it doesn't know its there.

and you are not seeing them in the grub boot menu because when grub 'installed' it numbered how many and what drives you had. changing that configuration will make it flonky.

however i have only limited experience with ubuntu you may find better and more correct answers on the linux forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-50.html



My issue was with the BIOS boot menu. I only had the SSd visible, although in the BIOS device manager I saw all 3 HDDs.

Anyway, after changing the plugs between the different SATA Ports, it booted from the 80GB HDD (Ubuntu). Kind of weird... Most likely something wasn't properly connected before.

Big thumbs up for the new BIOS menus. They even accept mouse input and I'm ready to install the mobo firmware update via a flash drive!! Goodbye floppy drive and good riddance.
May 27, 2012 9:47:21 PM

I know Optical drives are really unexpensive, but I have 4 of them that aren't being used. Seems like a huge waste to go and buy another.
Anonymous
May 27, 2012 9:50:41 PM

karbono said:
I know Optical drives are really unexpensive, but I have 4 of them that aren't being used. Seems like a huge waste to go and buy another.

i have a closet full. if i find any more i may make a toll shed for the garden :lol: 
!