1978 Merc 500 SLC price

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Hi
I have a lady friend who wants to sell her 78 Merc' 500 SLC, it will need a re-spray, new seat covers (2 or 3 holes) and a general tarting up,

but its mechanically sound.

Everything works except the passenger window don't open, and the radio arial got snapped off in the car wash.

She uses it two or three times a month for a trip into town, (about four miles.)

The mile-odometer don't work, so we don't know the true mileage, but its the same V8 engine that was used to win all those races back in the

seventies, so it should run forever, (especially the way she drives it.) Shes had it for the last ten years and its been maintained by Mercedes.

She's asking €4000, do you think this is a fair price?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Are you sure it's a 1978 500SLC? I don't think they made the 500 in that year. If I remember they made the 450SLC 5.0 then in 1980 made the 500SLC. Either way a great car and not too many of either sold. Around 1600 of the 450SLC and 1100 for the 500SLC.
I'm not sure on the market over there but in Canada here that'd would be close to fair market value. Some of those older Mercs are getting to be real collectable and a little bit of cosmetic work could bump the value up a fair bit. Having maintenance records for a car like this would be really beneficial as well. That is a car that with a PROPER, by which I mean even sourcing out a period correct oem model battery, restoration could be a six figure car in a decade. Of course a proper resto job would most likely run 15-20k pounds if you do it yourself.
If I was in her shoes I'd ask around at a couple of Merc dealerships to see if they know of anyone looking for a project. It just seems like a real waste of an amazing car to sell it to someone who's gonna abuse it. If she lived near me I'd buy it for sure.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Yes I'm a 100% sure its a 1978, they didn't start exporting that model till 1980, so if you are looking at the American data, that's why the discrepancy.

Yes it's a very rare beast.

We have tried advertising it locally, but Spain is a financial mess at present.

We would like nothing more that to restore it to its former glory, but trying to live on an English State Pension makes such things just 'pipe dreams.'

As for Merc dealerships, most of them seem to work on a system of replacing parts (and charging the customer) until they find the problem unit. If

you cant trust them to repair it, I wouldn't trust them to sell it.

We occasionally post pictures and details on 'Merc enthusiasts' sites, but no one seems to have the money to spend these days.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and comments. I wish you lived close by too!

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I think financial mess is a little bit of an understatement for spain right now. Good luck in selling the car and I hope it goes to someone who appreciates it for what it is.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Understatement is right!

I think the car has a 'shape' and a 'look' that engenders appreciation, most modern cars look the same to me, then perhaps that me.

Thanks for your best wishes, much appreciated.

Feb 3, 2020
If you want to increase the sale value of a classic car like your merc, you should refurbish your steering wheel, I got mine do by these guys, awesome work, recommend 100 %

TRENDING THREADS