Some advice on a new budget build

Doyo

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
So I'm trying to get a cheap build together to replace my old Core 2 Duo machine from Cyberpower. I managed to get a Phenom II x4 955 BE for cheap ($50) so I'm basing this build around that. Trying to get the best gaming performance I can for what I have, which isn't much. So, without further adu...

Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of June

Budget Range: As little as possible, under $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing, movie watching, etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, case, HD, DVD drive/burner

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, tiger, anywhere else that's cheap

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: probably

SLI or Crossfire: possibly in the future

Monitor Resolution:1680x1050

Additional Comments: Best I can get for little money

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT (two of these)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231421

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 01G-P3-561-RX
From EVGA's B Stock site

This is my first time building over buying prebuilt, so although I'm not completely ignorant to computer parts, I'm feeling fairly close and definitely overwhelmed. I have a 650W PSU in my current computer (5 years old) that I'm sure I should replace, but I don't know how to determine how big of a PSU I need.

Any advice on additional components I need, please feel free to add. I'm sure I'm leaving more than a couple bases uncovered.

Thanks all!

if you have a local micro center check them for ram and mb prices sometimes there cheaper then new egg. with a power supply look at the max power rating of the card. two thing is the 12v rails the amps rating of the rail and the wattage. some old power supply have more then one rail. if the amps rating is to low on a rail a high end video card will cause the ps to reset or fry or not boot. if the video card needs 200w you would not put in a 250w ps. you have to add the wattage of the cpu and drives. most times a good 650w ps and these new cards are fine.

TRENDING THREADS