Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2012 12:18:23 AM

Hi do you think this is a good gaming computer?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Sku=1...

More about : buying computer

a b 4 Gaming
May 28, 2012 12:35:51 AM

Intel Core i5 2500K
8 GB DDR3-1333
1 TB Hard Drive, 7200 rpm
AMD Radeon D 6850
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
psu = 600 Watts

Not a bad system. Didn't look at price.

Google benchmarks of hd6850 running starcraft 2, diablo 3 and skyrim on high settings and see the frame rate.
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2012 12:43:37 AM

for my monitor size it says for min - max fps for starcraft 2 on ultra is 25 - 41fps. would that be somewhat smooth? Also the price is 799 CA dollars
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:36:37 AM

tsnor said:
Intel Core i5 2500K
8 GB DDR3-1333
1 TB Hard Drive, 7200 rpm
AMD Radeon D 6850
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
psu = 600 Watts

Not a bad system. Didn't look at price.

Google benchmarks of hd6850 running starcraft 2, diablo 3 and skyrim on high settings and see the frame rate.

Do you think its worth it for 799CA?
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:05:03 AM

GPU will be a bit of a limiting factor on that build. It's a high end gaming cpu paired with a more entry level gaming gpu, which really isn't very balanced.. I would look for something with a 560 ti to match a 2500k. Is there a reason you don't want to build your own? Also, you might consider buying direct from ibuypower (not sure if they ship to canada).
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:58:27 AM

kelthic said:
GPU will be a bit of a limiting factor on that build. It's a high end gaming cpu paired with a more entry level gaming gpu, which really isn't very balanced.. I would look for something with a 560 ti to match a 2500k. Is there a reason you don't want to build your own? Also, you might consider buying direct from ibuypower (not sure if they ship to canada).

Reason i dont want to build it myself is cause im scared ill mess it up. Also i dont want to buy it directly from ibuypower because shipping to canada adds like 100 bucks. And if i keep this configuration would it be ok? Also how much wud u think it would cost to replace the Gpu with a 560ti?
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 28, 2012 11:27:46 AM

Notetoself567 said:
Reason i dont want to build it myself is cause im scared ill mess it up. Also i dont want to buy it directly from ibuypower because shipping to canada adds like 100 bucks. And if i keep this configuration would it be ok? Also how much wud u think it would cost to replace the Gpu with a 560ti?

Don't buy planning to replace the video card. The Hd6850 is a strong card. IF you were building yourself you would go up a notch or two on GPU, down a notch or two on CPU. However you are getting a pre-built and they almost never get to a gaming balance. Your system is much better balanced than most pre-built.

For gaming, the steam HW survery is a great source of info on what people are running. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The HD6850 in your build is stronger than 11 of the top 12 graphics cards listed in the survey. Only the gtx560 is better, and it is marginally better. (top dozen cards are a little more than 25% of the survey results)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 4.44%
Intel HD Graphics 3000, 3.05%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, 2.72%
ATI Radeon HD 5770, 2.47%
Intel HD Graphics, 2.31%
NVIDIA GeForce 9800, 2.25%
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express, 2.12%,
NVIDIA GeForce 9600, 2.10%
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 150, 1.96%
NVIDIA GeForce 9500, 1.86%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550, 1.71%
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 1.67%

Not knowing CA computer part prices, can't comment on the $800CA for the build, but it's not a bad build. You are certainly not paying 50% more than you should. (CPU, MB, Video, disk and win license = > $600 just parts I think)
May 28, 2012 11:52:15 AM

Best answer selected by Notetoself567.
m
l
May 28, 2012 11:52:45 AM

tsnor said:
Don't buy planning to replace the video card. The Hd6850 is a strong card. IF you were building yourself you would go up a notch or two on GPU, down a notch or two on CPU. However you are getting a pre-built and they almost never get to a gaming balance. Your system is much better balanced than most pre-built.

For gaming, the steam HW survery is a great source of info on what people are running. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The HD6850 in your build is stronger than 11 of the top 12 graphics cards listed in the survey. Only the gtx560 is better, and it is marginally better. (top dozen cards are a little more than 25% of the survey results)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 4.44%
Intel HD Graphics 3000, 3.05%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, 2.72%
ATI Radeon HD 5770, 2.47%
Intel HD Graphics, 2.31%
NVIDIA GeForce 9800, 2.25%
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express, 2.12%,
NVIDIA GeForce 9600, 2.10%
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 150, 1.96%
NVIDIA GeForce 9500, 1.86%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550, 1.71%
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 1.67%

Not knowing CA computer part prices, can't comment on the $800CA for the build, but it's not a bad build. You are certainly not paying 50% more than you should. (CPU, MB, Video, disk and win license = > $600 just parts I think)

Thanks so much for the info! Very reassuring!
m
l
May 28, 2012 7:42:55 PM

While the 6850 is a great card, no argument there, i'm really not sure the information Tsnor copied really depicts the situation as accurately as possible. What you should really look at is the benchmarks for that config for the games you want to play at the resolution your monitor will be. I'm assuming 1080p since that's pretty much the standard now-a-days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQI-CwWr7I for Battlefield 3 is a good example of that setup on a newer game. Average is 26 FPS which is below ideal. if you are playing older games, that card would be fine, but with the newer games, it's really not going to give you ultra with smooth frame rates, so that's something you'll want to take into account.
m
l
May 28, 2012 8:37:22 PM

kelthic said:
While the 6850 is a great card, no argument there, i'm really not sure the information Tsnor copied really depicts the situation as accurately as possible. What you should really look at is the benchmarks for that config for the games you want to play at the resolution your monitor will be. I'm assuming 1080p since that's pretty much the standard now-a-days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQI-CwWr7I for Battlefield 3 is a good example of that setup on a newer game. Average is 26 FPS which is below ideal. if you are playing older games, that card would be fine, but with the newer games, it's really not going to give you ultra with smooth frame rates, so that's something you'll want to take into account.
i was also thinking of another computer that like u said has a Nvidia GTX 560i, here it is
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ibuypower-ibuypower... however i dont know whether its worth it to add 200CA dollars from the old computer to upgrade the CPU a bit ( slightly better, not that much ) and a slightly better GPU, correct me if im wrong. Also whats the ideal FPS i should aim for if i want some smooth gameplay?
m
l
May 28, 2012 8:58:23 PM

Well, looking at some Canadian sites, that computer honestly looks like a good deal in your price range. If you are willing to accept lowering the settings to achieve good frame rates, then you will have a good computer int he 6850. Unless you are willing to look at a significant boost in your budget, i'm not seeing how you could get a computer with a much better gpu near the 800 Canadian mark no mater where i look. As you mentioned the i7 really isn't going to do much for you for gaming. Also in that link, it's the standard GTX 560 not the TI version which makes a large difference. i don't think i would go that route.

I try to get 60 fps if i can but realistically anything 40-45+ is great.

m
l
May 28, 2012 9:03:14 PM

kelthic said:
Well, looking at some Canadian sites, that computer honestly looks like a good deal in your price range. If you are willing to accept lowering the settings to achieve good frame rates, then you will have a good computer int he 6850. Unless you are willing to look at a significant boost in your budget, i'm not seeing how you could get a computer with a much better gpu near the 800 Canadian mark no mater where i look. As you mentioned the i7 really isn't going to do much for you for gaming. Also in that link, it's the standard GTX 560 not the TI version which makes a large difference. i don't think i would go that route.

I try to get 60 fps if i can but realistically anything 40-45+ is great.

Alrite thanks man, your a big help!
m
l
May 28, 2012 9:05:09 PM

no worries. Tsnor did give you solid advice for that gpu in the first place. Especially on that budget. Guess i'm not as familar with canadian prices as the US ones. Besides, later on when you have a little more money, it's nothing to replace that card with one that performs a little better. :)  good luck to you!
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:05:53 AM

kelthic said:
no worries. Tsnor did give you solid advice for that gpu in the first place. Especially on that budget. Guess i'm not as familar with canadian prices as the US ones. Besides, later on when you have a little more money, it's nothing to replace that card with one that performs a little better. :)  good luck to you!

One more question, my brother was telling me that any computer from bestbuy has a crappy motherboard, thus you cant upgrade it. Im not sure if this is true, so is there an answer to that question for the 800CA one. Just wanna see if i can upgrade it or anything like tht
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:23:27 AM

unfortunately, the link you provided really doesn't provide any details about which motherboard or what options the motherboard has. I really can't help with that, sorry.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:25:45 AM

kelthic said:
unfortunately, the link you provided really doesn't provide any details about which motherboard or what options the motherboard has. I really can't help with that, sorry.

Well its alrites! Thanks Again!
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:36:02 AM

no problem hope everything works out for you!
m
l
!