Nokia 6600 and Ipaq 5450

Hello,
I cannot make the Nokia 6600 act as a modem with my Ipaq 5450. The CD only
seems to allow settings for a PC. The devices are paired happily, but just
won't dial. Any advice please?
Thanks
Rachael
11 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6600 ipaq 5450

    Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.

    I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
    9600bps and it's a bit expencive.

    "Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
    > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
    >
    > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
    > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.

    the 6600 CAN be used as a GPRS, both v3.42.1 and v4.09.1 works perfectly and
    very stable. If you're having problems getting it working I suggest
    speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled full GPRS
    access, and also to check you have entered the correct settings in your
    phone.

    Oh, and the 6600 connects perfectly to PDAs like the Ipaq too, as I have
    managed to set up a few.

    Mario

    "Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
    > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
    >
    > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
    > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.

    Oh thanks, good to know its not me going crazy. Anyone know how to use it
    as a regular modem?
    Thanks
    Rachael

    "Mario Sarno" <mariosarno@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
    > > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
    > >
    > > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
    > > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
    >
    > the 6600 CAN be used as a GPRS, both v3.42.1 and v4.09.1 works perfectly
    and
    > very stable. If you're having problems getting it working I suggest
    > speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled full GPRS
    > access, and also to check you have entered the correct settings in your
    > phone.
    >
    > Oh, and the 6600 connects perfectly to PDAs like the Ipaq too, as I have
    > managed to set up a few.
    >
    > Mario

    Thanks v much. Any clues where to start?
    Thanks
    Rachael

    > Thanks v much. Any clues where to start?
    > Thanks
    > Rachael

    What network and country are you on/in, I might try and get the settings
    for you.

    "Rachael Reynolds" <rachael.reynolds@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
    > > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
    > >
    > > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
    > > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
    >
    > Oh thanks, good to know its not me going crazy. Anyone know how to use it
    > as a regular modem?

    Hmm. I have an iPAQ 5450 and a 6600 with original firmware. I'll see what I
    can do ....

    ---

    Vodafone, UK.
    Thanks v v much!

    > > Thanks v much. Any clues where to start?
    > > Thanks
    > > Rachael
    >
    > What network and country are you on/in, I might try and get the settings
    > for you.

    > > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
    > >
    > > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
    > > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
    >
    > the 6600 CAN be used as a GPRS, both v3.42.1 and v4.09.1 works perfectly
    and
    > very stable. If you're having problems getting it working I suggest
    > speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled full GPRS
    > access, and also to check you have entered the correct settings in your
    > phone.
    >
    > Oh, and the 6600 connects perfectly to PDAs like the Ipaq too, as I have
    > managed to set up a few.

    I tried both firmwares and it's always the same thing: PDA (or PC) connects
    to internet via 6600, but after few bytes have been transfered GPRS
    connections just drops, and soon after bluetooth drops too. GPRS connection
    works fine if phone is connected by it self, not as a modem.

    This is a MAJOR problem with 6600. Even PalmOS driver developers at
    www.novamedia.de couldn't solve the problem.

    If you have solution to this problem please post it here and you'll make
    alot of people happy, including myself :)

    * What kind initialization string do you use for 6600?

    * What do you mean by "If you're having problems getting it working I
    suggest speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled
    full GPRS access"?

    Thanks.

    > This is a MAJOR problem with 6600. Even PalmOS driver developers at
    > www.novamedia.de couldn't solve the problem.
    >
    > If you have solution to this problem please post it here and you'll make
    > alot of people happy, including myself :)

    Well for my network here in the UK (O2), I put in the following settings:

    1. On the Nokia 6600, go to Tools>Settings>Connnection>GPRS>Access Point. I
    set the access point to

    mobile.o2.co.uk

    Which is O2's FULL gprs apn (access point name), not the wap apn. The wap
    apn will not work for this purpose.

    > * What kind initialization string do you use for 6600?

    For the Bluetooh Modem on my PC, I entered the following:

    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","MOBILE.O2.CO.UK"

    replace the MOBILE.O2.CO.UK part with your service provider's full gprs apn.

    When you dial the connection on your PC, set the phone number to be *99#,
    the username to be your service provider's username, and the password to
    your service provider's password. This needs to be the full gprs apn
    username and password, not the username and password used to access WAP on
    your phone. For O2, the username is "username" and the password is
    "password".

    > * What do you mean by "If you're having problems getting it working I
    > suggest speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled
    > full GPRS access"?

    GPRS needs adding to your mobile phone account, its not always turned on by
    default. Also, if it's turned on, you need to make sure they have turned on
    the WAP GPRS, and also the FULL GPRS service. the full gprs service is what
    you need to be able to access the internet on your pda/computer.

    Any more questions, email me direct if you like.

    Mario

    I have a Dell Axim x3i and used the settings in the following link to get
    GPRS modem working over bluetooth first time.

    Enjoy.

    "Macbeth" <1@2.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Axim x3i and used the settings in the following link to get
    > GPRS modem working over bluetooth first time.
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1477
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > "Rachael Reynolds" <rachael.reynolds@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I cannot make the Nokia 6600 act as a modem with my Ipaq 5450. The CD
    > only
    > > seems to allow settings for a PC. The devices are paired happily, but
    > just
    > > won't dial. Any advice please?
    > > Thanks
    > > Rachael

    Worked perfectly thanks! Thanks to all for help
    Rachael

Nokia Ipaq