Nokia 6600 and Ipaq 5450

Last response: in Brands
May 30, 2004 6:33:53 PM

Hello,
I cannot make the Nokia 6600 act as a modem with my Ipaq 5450. The CD only
seems to allow settings for a PC. The devices are paired happily, but just
won't dial. Any advice please?
Thanks
Rachael

More about : nokia 6600 ipaq 5450

May 30, 2004 8:49:42 PM

Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.

I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 8:49:43 PM

"Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
>
> I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
> 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.

the 6600 CAN be used as a GPRS, both v3.42.1 and v4.09.1 works perfectly and
very stable. If you're having problems getting it working I suggest
speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled full GPRS
access, and also to check you have entered the correct settings in your
phone.

Oh, and the 6600 connects perfectly to PDAs like the Ipaq too, as I have
managed to set up a few.

Mario
May 30, 2004 8:49:43 PM

"Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
>
> I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
> 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.

Oh thanks, good to know its not me going crazy. Anyone know how to use it
as a regular modem?
Thanks
Rachael

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 8:49:44 PM

"Mario Sarno" <mariosarno@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
> >
> > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
> > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
>
> the 6600 CAN be used as a GPRS, both v3.42.1 and v4.09.1 works perfectly
and
> very stable. If you're having problems getting it working I suggest
> speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled full GPRS
> access, and also to check you have entered the correct settings in your
> phone.
>
> Oh, and the 6600 connects perfectly to PDAs like the Ipaq too, as I have
> managed to set up a few.
>
> Mario

Thanks v much. Any clues where to start?
Thanks
Rachael

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 9:51:42 PM

> Thanks v much. Any clues where to start?
> Thanks
> Rachael

What network and country are you on/in, I might try and get the settings
for you.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 10:42:49 PM

"Rachael Reynolds" <rachael.reynolds@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Mikki" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
> >
> > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
> > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
>
> Oh thanks, good to know its not me going crazy. Anyone know how to use it
> as a regular modem?

Hmm. I have an iPAQ 5450 and a 6600 with original firmware. I'll see what I
can do ....

---
May 30, 2004 11:19:13 PM

Vodafone, UK.
Thanks v v much!
Rachael

> > Thanks v much. Any clues where to start?
> > Thanks
> > Rachael
>
> What network and country are you on/in, I might try and get the settings
> for you.

May 30, 2004 11:26:37 PM

> > Nokia 6600 can't be used as a GPRS modem, as it has a faulty firmware.
> >
> > I think it can be used as a regular modem, but then you are limited to
> > 9600bps and it's a bit expencive.
>
> the 6600 CAN be used as a GPRS, both v3.42.1 and v4.09.1 works perfectly
and
> very stable. If you're having problems getting it working I suggest
> speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled full GPRS
> access, and also to check you have entered the correct settings in your
> phone.
>
> Oh, and the 6600 connects perfectly to PDAs like the Ipaq too, as I have
> managed to set up a few.

I tried both firmwares and it's always the same thing: PDA (or PC) connects
to internet via 6600, but after few bytes have been transfered GPRS
connections just drops, and soon after bluetooth drops too. GPRS connection
works fine if phone is connected by it self, not as a modem.

This is a MAJOR problem with 6600. Even PalmOS driver developers at
www.novamedia.de couldn't solve the problem.

If you have solution to this problem please post it here and you'll make
alot of people happy, including myself :)

* What kind initialization string do you use for 6600?

* What do you mean by "If you're having problems getting it working I
suggest speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled
full GPRS access"?

Thanks.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 11:45:48 PM

> This is a MAJOR problem with 6600. Even PalmOS driver developers at
> www.novamedia.de couldn't solve the problem.
>
> If you have solution to this problem please post it here and you'll make
> alot of people happy, including myself :)

Well for my network here in the UK (O2), I put in the following settings:

1. On the Nokia 6600, go to Tools>Settings>Connnection>GPRS>Access Point. I
set the access point to

mobile.o2.co.uk

Which is O2's FULL gprs apn (access point name), not the wap apn. The wap
apn will not work for this purpose.

> * What kind initialization string do you use for 6600?

For the Bluetooh Modem on my PC, I entered the following:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","MOBILE.O2.CO.UK"

replace the MOBILE.O2.CO.UK part with your service provider's full gprs apn.

When you dial the connection on your PC, set the phone number to be *99#,
the username to be your service provider's username, and the password to
your service provider's password. This needs to be the full gprs apn
username and password, not the username and password used to access WAP on
your phone. For O2, the username is "username" and the password is
"password".

> * What do you mean by "If you're having problems getting it working I
> suggest speaking to your service provider to make sure they have enabled
> full GPRS access"?

GPRS needs adding to your mobile phone account, its not always turned on by
default. Also, if it's turned on, you need to make sure they have turned on
the WAP GPRS, and also the FULL GPRS service. the full gprs service is what
you need to be able to access the internet on your pda/computer.

Any more questions, email me direct if you like.

Mario
May 31, 2004 1:54:51 AM

I have a Dell Axim x3i and used the settings in the following link to get
GPRS modem working over bluetooth first time.

Enjoy.

> Hello,
> I cannot make the Nokia 6600 act as a modem with my Ipaq 5450. The CD
only
> seems to allow settings for a PC. The devices are paired happily, but
just
> won't dial. Any advice please?
> Thanks
> Rachael

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 7:28:54 AM

"Macbeth" <1@2.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Axim x3i and used the settings in the following link to get
> GPRS modem working over bluetooth first time.
>
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1477
>
> Enjoy.
>
> "Rachael Reynolds" <rachael.reynolds@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I cannot make the Nokia 6600 act as a modem with my Ipaq 5450. The CD
> only
> > seems to allow settings for a PC. The devices are paired happily, but
> just
> > won't dial. Any advice please?
> > Thanks
> > Rachael

Worked perfectly thanks! Thanks to all for help
Rachael

!