PSU Need an Upgrade?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Your system should be fine. However, it's an old Cooler Master PSU. As far as I know, their older models were pretty crappy. Upgrading it isn't necessary, but it is optimal. If you do upgrade, how much do you plan on spending for a new PSU?

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering because if I do not need to upgrade my PSU for the new CPU, I might as well just use it as long as I can, If I can. If not, I would probably buy an i5-3570k and spend about 50$ on a new PSU.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

What will you be doing with your system, and what's your budget?

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Gaming. I am going to use $430. I was thinking about upgrading to an intel processor (i5 3rd gen) and a motherboard to go with it. If I get a i5, I will have enough money for a PSU. If I get a i7, I wont have enough money for a PSU.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

An i7 provides little benefit over an i5 in gaming. An i5 3570K will suffice for gaming.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I just upgraded from an overclocked 1045t @ 3.4 Ghz, to av overclocked 2600k @4Ghz.

Adding a second GTX 560 (~$140) in SLI made a HUGE improvement in my games.

Upgrading from my overclocked 1045t to an overclocked 2600k (~$400) made a small improvement that was nowhere near the price tag. Intel is generally better than AMD and if someone is buying new and has the budget, I will recommend Intel over AMD.

But if you already have time and money invested in a decent AMD CPU/MB, it's not worth it to dump that investment and then dump even more money into an Intel CPU/MB.

I recommend a second video card and PSU upgrade. Or just a better card by itself, if you can't find a match, and a better PSU. You will get much more noticeable results (gaming) for your money.

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I would need a new mobo to overclock my CPU. Also a new motherboard for another graphics card. Right now I have a Radeon 7850. My cpu speeds arent good at all which makes games like Battlefield 3 on Caspian Border hard to play with good framerates. Also to take account, I am on a 1366*768 resolution which requires more CPU power than higher resolutions. Thats basically why I would want to upgrade with a whole new motherboard, cpu, and psu.