Upgrading from a Radeon HD 4350

jamiehoy

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hey guys. I was just after a little help with upgrading my graphics card. My current graphics card is a Radeon HD 4350. I know that I have a PCIe 1.0 and that 2.0 etc are compatible. What my question is, what is the best graphics card I can get for my system? Not the best I can buy, but the best for my system without much wastage power (If 2.0 etc)

PC Specs
Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra6)
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor 2.8 GHz
Ram: 8GB

If any more information is needed, I will happily find it and post it here. Let me say all help is much appreciated.

Solution
its not that simple. essentially, PCIe 1 has half the bandwidth of 2.0. but only the current highest power cards come close to saturating PCIe 2.0 so a mid range card will lose little to no performance.

the PSU will need to be upgraded if you want a decent enough GPU, but obviously it becomes about how much you want to spend and how much performance you need.

personally I would jsut build a new system, but if its not a choice. a new PSU and low-mid range GPU will certainly breathe new life into your system. without going as high as a 7770, even a 5670 would be a really nice jump. and cheap to boot.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
what power supply do you have? and what's your budget?

you aren't really limited at all, at least not unless you get a high end GPU which will be bottlenecked. but a mid range 6770 or similar would play nicely with this setup and be a massive improvement.

jamiehoy

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
My PSU is pretty crap atm. Only at 250w, but thats no problem to upgrade. I just didnt want to get a graphics card 2.0 or something where its only using 60-70% of the potential, or less.

I heard there was a limit to the bandwidth? of a PCIe slot of 4GB or somthing? I could be completely off track here. Didn't want to get something that uses, just say, 16GB if thats the case.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
its not that simple. essentially, PCIe 1 has half the bandwidth of 2.0. but only the current highest power cards come close to saturating PCIe 2.0 so a mid range card will lose little to no performance.

the PSU will need to be upgraded if you want a decent enough GPU, but obviously it becomes about how much you want to spend and how much performance you need.

personally I would jsut build a new system, but if its not a choice. a new PSU and low-mid range GPU will certainly breathe new life into your system. without going as high as a 7770, even a 5670 would be a really nice jump. and cheap to boot.

Solution

Badfinger

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Hello,

Did a little research, I'd get an Antec 550 PSU for around $60
and video card wise: depends on budget...
Around $80: Radeon 6670
Around $110: Radeon 7750
Around $150: Radeon 6850 or a Nvidia 550Ti

Used pcpartpicker.com for those prices, picking out the best for those figures.

All those will be nice boost. :bounce:

jamiehoy

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

One last question, I looked up the Radeon HD 7770 and I notice there are many different brands with this GPU. Any you recommend for that series?

I saw this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19723
Bad choice? / waste of money?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
tbh, with the rest of that system its probably not worth putting so much money on the GPU.

by something more middle ground, and start saving for a new motherboard and CPU.

the directCU card is a good model, but i generally jsut go for whatever card is cheapest unless there's one with a very good cooler for a decent price. They all perform identically, its just overclocking that will be affected.

for now, i would say stick with the 6670. whatever brand you can get cheaply, and put the money saved aside until you have more cash. A cheap h61 motherboard and an i3 2100 will be a very nice and reasonably priced way to rebuild you PC.