Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade to a Phenom II X4 965 Processor

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:29:45 AM

I just upgraded my cpu to a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 3.40GHz, Socket AM3 from a Athlon 64x2 6400+ 3.2 GHz AM2+ and ran the Windows 7 Experience Index and the processor rating dropped from a 7.1 to a 3.5. I also noticed that the Phenom is only running at 1.6GHz and on boot my ram is now unganged. The ram dropped from 6.8 to a 5.3 in the Windows Experience Index. I thought the Phenom would be a better performer than the Athlon. I did turn off the Quiet and cool settings in the bios but everything else is unchanged.
I’m no expert by far but I was wondering if this was indeed an upgrade?
I’m using this as my Home Theater computer for movies, music and I have a second monitor to view a home surveillance camera.
Any feedback, comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Specs:
Windows 7 (64)
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Bios:Fhh
Phenom II X4 965
G.Skill 8gb 4 x2gb DDR2 800
Two Asus EN9600GT 512mb PCI Express Video cards
Thank you! :) 
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:50:44 AM

You're running it with DDR2 and in an AM2 socket. If you get an AM3 socket, you will see better performance. It says on the Gigabyte mobo page. If you put an AM3 CPU in an AM2 board, the HyperTransport speed plummets.
a c 141 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:50:44 AM

jasonhts said:
I just upgraded my cpu to a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 3.40GHz, Socket AM3 from a Athlon 64x2 6400+ 3.2 GHz AM2+ and ran the Windows 7 Experience Index and the processor rating dropped from a 7.1 to a 3.5. I also noticed that the Phenom is only running at 1.6GHz and on boot my ram is now unganged. The ram dropped from 6.8 to a 5.3 in the Windows Experience Index. I thought the Phenom would be a better performer than the Athlon. I did turn off the Quiet and cool settings in the bios but everything else is unchanged.
I’m no expert by far but I was wondering if this was indeed an upgrade?
I’m using this as my Home Theater computer for movies, music and I have a second monitor to view a home surveillance camera.
Any feedback, comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Specs:
Windows 7 (64)
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Bios:Fhh
Phenom II X4 965
G.Skill 8gb 4 x2gb DDR2 800
Two Asus EN9600GT 512mb PCI Express Video cards
Thank you! :) 

I wouldn't put much into the WEI, I mean if the only reason you're upgrading is because of WEI than don't bother. If you feel your computer is lacking in performance than I would do the upgrade. The Phenom II 965 will be faster than the old Athlon 64 and should give better performance. You are of course going to have to get a new motherboard and RAM along with the new CPU.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:51:20 AM

But, try the latest BIOS for your board. It might improve performance.
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:52:30 AM

But, if you're going to update your BIOS, you'll have to know your motherboard revision first.
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 2:04:14 AM

I did not see that BIOS listed in any of the three revisions of that motherboard, but like obsama1 said, Make Sure you use the right BIOS update for the revision of motherboard. You have three choices rev.1.0, rev1.1, rev2.0
September 20, 2012 6:06:30 PM

I used the Gigabyte Bios windows update program to install the latest version and everything seems to be working correctly. I do have motherboard rev 2.0.

Yes, I'm running the Phenom AM3 in an AM2+ slot. The Athlon died on me but everything else in the PC is fine so I figured on just replacing the CPU. I did read about the HyperTransport speed plummeting. I’m not sure exactly what that means or how it’ll effect performance. Is the Phenom still faster then the Atlon even with the HyperTransport speed plummeting and how do I get the most out of the Phenom in an AM2+ environment or how to figure out the Phenoms performance compared to the Athlon it replaced. The only reference I had was the WEI.

Since everything else is working I’m not intending to replace the motherboard at this time. I looking for ways to tweek the performance a little and keeping a stable system if possible.

I have run Mem86 with success and Prime 95 for 24 hrs with a high temp of 49c.

Thank you for taking the time and helping me!
!