Wait for new Kepler cards?

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hey guys (and gals?) :hello:
I'm getting 2 new GPUs soon to replace my 550Ti, and of course, I'll be running them in SLI. Originally I was going to get 2 GTX 560Ti's, but shortly after I decided.. I found out about the new Kepler GK104 Cards, so I changed my mind. Though I'm unsure as to whether to wait for them (The Kepler equivalent of a 570), or just go with a pair of 570s (Yes, change of plans, thanks watercooling.) and save me some time waiting for benchmarks and respective waterblocks to come out. Friend of mine wants to buy my 550Ti, so the sooner he can get it, the better--Obviously not making him wait a month for it (Yeah, my M/B doesn't have integrated graphics :lol: ).

(Please don't suggest a single card setup, don't mean to be rude or anything, I just like the look of 2 cards, don't ask why, I just do :D)

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
If you're desperate to get SLI, make sure your motherboard supports SLI. And I would wait for the kepler cards, just because nVidia will probably price them below their 7XXX counterparts. It would be a good way to save energy, get more performance, and more modern cards.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
The fact that you went water cooling tells me you sort of have your priorities wrong. You could have used all that cash to buy better cards like the 580 or 680 and made a pretty large difference in system performance.

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Also something that no one has pointed out....680 puts out less heat and power consumption than a single 570.

Your case will run a lot cooler with a single card solution and it should perform very close to a 570 sli system if not better.

Single card will also not micro stutter if using multiple screens. Since I do not know your config this might not be a problem.

Lastly I hope to god your at least at 1920x1080, because it would be a waste.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

He specifically said he wanted a SLI solution.

Exactly, Why spend all that extra money to fix up a graphics cars set up that doesn't even compete with a GTX 680, thats cooler, quieter and less power consuming that even GTX 560 ti SLI. With only 195 watts of TDP, and two 6 pins....best graphics card for less power counsumption

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I'm very well aware that the 680 puts out less heat and power consumption, and yes, I know that a single card solution would be more beneficial, but that's not exactly what I asked..no offence, and of course, why wouldn't I be on 1920x1080 & not have an M/B that supports SLI? :lol:

Specs:
i7 2600 @ 4.3Ghz
Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Leadtek GeForce GTX 550Ti
16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP RAM
Corsair TX750M (Will be swapping this out for AX1200)

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

That fact that I went water cooling probably should have told you that I'm building for aesthetics + performance and not squeezing every FPS out of my card(s)

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

I guess showing off to other people is more important than personal gaming satisfaction and real performance. I knew a guy like that, everyone made fun of him behind his back lol. Whatever floats your boat! It's like the guy that drives a Ferrari replica that is really just a Pontiac Fiero underneath.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

That isn't really my intention; showing off to others. I'm just a perfectionist :lol:

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Yeah I know, but according to the lineup chart, I'd have to wait till at least Q2 for the card I can afford; which also leads to my friend waiting until Q2 for his card as well, either that or get the higher card(s) coming out around April 12 and add ~$140 to my costs..

No your not..... the lower mid range cards are gonna be about the same price as the 500 series was at launch

and the most of the rest of kepler is to release at mid april. Ivy is coming at the real soon

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

According to this, only a few of them will be released mid April: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GPU-GeForce-600-Series,14642.html
Probably not the exactly most reliable source of information, but it's all I'm aware of.

Yeah, already got Sandy Bridge though, don't see the need to upgrade to Ivy..but how is this related :lol:

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

You're absolutely right about this one. And it seems like he has already made up his mind.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Ugh, like I said, I'm not showing off, I'm just a perfectionist. Besides, it's not like I'm building a ****box that just looks good. Sure, if I wanted more performance I'd have used the money towards a better card, but no, I also want my system to look good as well; I'll be defeating the purpose of having a windowed case for one, I mean, what's the point of having aesthetically pleasing components when you can't even see them? That's just stupid if you ask me. Also I'm pretty sure what I'm building at the moment is more than enough for games to be played on high settings.

Sound like a plan, the only problem is, your gonna have to camp the website your buying it from to get ahold of one...

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

+1
Agreed. They were all sold out within hours of being sighted on Newegg, no doubt it'll be the same for other online shops.

Well i know a guy that had 2 GTX 460's and got rid of them for a 680. He talks like its a good move. A tip would be wait arond the first or middle of April when the other cards come out.. after that everyone will be on the other mid range cards. I realy want a 670 or 670 ti, just because it will probably be all i need. the 670 ti is supposed to be just behind a 680 in performance and still beat a 7950 and compete with a 7970