Closed

Problem(?) with recently purchased GTX 560 Ti

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct section, but it seemed to make sense to me.

I recently purchased a GeForce GTX 560 Ti + CoolerMaster GX 550W Bronze PSU bundle. It ran perfectly well during the first month or so. It used to idle at around 38 deg C, and when playing heavy games, like Battlefield 3 or Skyrim, it peaked out at around 55 to 60 deg C. Now, ever since summer has started here in India, it idles at around 42 deg C, and when playing games, it heats up to anywhere between 60 and 65 deg C. The problem is, as soon as it goes above 60ish deg C, my PC automatically shuts down.

My question is, is this a problem with my graphics card, PSU, or an overheating CPU? Is there some setting on my graphics card that force reboots the PC if it crosses a certain temperature? Any way I can circumvent my problem?
10 answers Last reply
More about problem recently purchased
  1. well firstly i would take out the card and spray it with compressed air to clean it from dust
    you can prevent the card from going above 60c by cranking up the fan speeds, use msi afterburner
  2. 60C for the graphics card is very little actually. Did you check the temperature of your CPU?
  3. I would suspect it's an airflow/heat issue surrounding the CPU, reason being that I'm guessing the 560Ti is either throwing out more heat than your previous card or is larger, blocking airflow to and around your CPU. If I'm right then it's also likely that your PSU is mounted in the top of your case rather than at the bottom so it's getting restricted air movement around it. Increase airflow inside your case and try to think about how the air could be pushed or pulled around your case as you don't want any additional fans acting against each other. Run some software tools to have a look at the temp of your CPU. Is it an AMD CPU with a stock processor by any chance?
  4. I haven't checked CPU temperature yet, I'll do that now.

I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 945 4 cores 3GHz stock processor.

My current cabinet setup is PSU at the top with one fan on the underside and the other on the backside of the cabinet, then the CPU, and finally, the graphics card with the fans facing downwards, away from the CPU. However, it can't be an air flow problem, because I've removed my side panel completely.

I'm not completely sure if I installed the card correctly, it has 2 power cables coming out, but I've only hooked in one of them to the PSU cables. Could that be causing this?
  5. paari1 said:
    I haven't checked CPU temperature yet, I'll do that now.

My current cabinet setup is PSU at the top with one fan on the underside and the other on the backside of the cabinet, then the CPU, and finally, the graphics card with the fans facing downwards, away from the CPU. However, it can't be an air flow problem, because I've removed my side panel completely.

I'm not completely sure if I installed the card correctly, it has 2 power cables coming out, but I've only hooked in one of them to the PSU cables. Could that be causing this?

Yes you need both 6pin power connectors for the card! I'm quite sure your GPU is not getting enough juice due to only having 1 power connector installed. You could have possibly killed your GPU that way. Shut down your computer and plug in the other 6 pin power connector.
  6. paari1 said:
    I haven't checked CPU temperature yet, I'll do that now.

That's not 'could', it 'would'. The card needs electricity to run!
  7. Ah sorry, it appears I was mistaken, I apologize for the confusion. It appears that there are two cables coming from the card, and both of them split into two more connectors. I've plugged in one from each cable to my PSU (I was remembering differently, disregard my previous post).

Also, thanks for the prompt replies everyone!

However, my original problem still remains. Any suggestions?
  8. Bump. I tried downloading CoreTemp, but for some reason, it's showing my CPU temperature at 0 deg C. Am I doing something wrong?

And, my side panels are off, so there's more than adequate ventilation in the cabinet, but my computer is still shutting down randomly after an hour or so of gaming. Hell, even playing Sims 3 made it crash after 40 minutes.
  9. I think your PSU is to blame. AFAIK the 560TI needs a 550W PSU, and yours is at borderline reccomendation. As your PSU get's hotter it comes less efficient.

Can you try out a better power supply if possibly? Maybe in the range of a 600W silver rated one, good quality brand.
  10. The manual said that the 560Ti needs a 500W PSU, so I got a 550W one just to be safe.

My entire setup is also connected to a UPS, and lately, it's battery seems to be dying out because it's not giving power backup in case of power cuts. Maybe the increase in card temperature is leading to the fans increasing speed, thus sucking more power and causing a voltage fluctuation which my UPS can't handle. I'll try switching out the UPS.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics