Sign in with
Your question
Solved

24 Pin Connector won't secure. Please Help!

Last response: in Components
September 20, 2012 2:28:49 AM

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my first build. I'm at the stage where I plug in the 24 pin power connector. The only problem is my 24 PIN connector doesn't seem to be going in all the way. I'm using the using the Antec TruePower New TP-750W and the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H. Any idea what the issue could be?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : pin connector secure

a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2012 2:51:18 AM

make sure you have the locking tab on the motherbd connector aligned with the ridge on the power supply connector. Sometimes it takes quite a bit to force it down and locked.
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:11:56 AM

popatim said:
make sure you have the locking tab on the motherbd connector aligned with the ridge on the power supply connector. Sometimes it takes quite a bit to force it down and locked.

I did made sure. I lifted the locking tab. And I have applied about as much pressure as I can with out damaging the board. It still won't secure. Any other ideas?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2012 3:34:19 AM

Check for bent pins on motherboard or some debris in the power supply socket.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2012 3:38:58 AM

Disconnect the cable and inspect both to see if either might have something wedged in it which might be preventing the connector from going in all the way. Double-check that keyed pins are lined up and attempt re-connecting.

If the insertion resistance is fairly even across the whole connector, it is possible that the connections really are that tight. If you are 100% certain your connector is lined up properly and free of any debris that may be hindering your connection attempts and are genuinely concerned about breaking your board by pushing too hard, you have three options: 1) swap out the PSU, 2) use a power cable extension or 3) take the motherboard out so you can attempt plugging the cable with full support behind the connector to avoid bending the board.

Personally, the part that most often scares me is inserting DIMMs since some motherboards have very tight slots that require an absurdly high amount of force to insert DIMMs the first few times.
September 27, 2012 12:11:15 AM

Best answer selected by mechanized.
m
l
!