Solved

24 Pin Connector won't secure. Please Help!

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my first build. I'm at the stage where I plug in the 24 pin power connector. The only problem is my 24 PIN connector doesn't seem to be going in all the way. I'm using the using the Antec TruePower New TP-750W and the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H. Any idea what the issue could be?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371022

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545
answers
Last reply
Best Answer
More about connector secure help
  1. make sure you have the locking tab on the motherbd connector aligned with the ridge on the power supply connector. Sometimes it takes quite a bit to force it down and locked.
  2. popatim said:
    make sure you have the locking tab on the motherbd connector aligned with the ridge on the power supply connector. Sometimes it takes quite a bit to force it down and locked.

I did made sure. I lifted the locking tab. And I have applied about as much pressure as I can with out damaging the board. It still won't secure. Any other ideas?
  3. Check for bent pins on motherboard or some debris in the power supply socket.
  4. Best answer
    Disconnect the cable and inspect both to see if either might have something wedged in it which might be preventing the connector from going in all the way. Double-check that keyed pins are lined up and attempt re-connecting.

If the insertion resistance is fairly even across the whole connector, it is possible that the connections really are that tight. If you are 100% certain your connector is lined up properly and free of any debris that may be hindering your connection attempts and are genuinely concerned about breaking your board by pushing too hard, you have three options: 1) swap out the PSU, 2) use a power cable extension or 3) take the motherboard out so you can attempt plugging the cable with full support behind the connector to avoid bending the board.

Personally, the part that most often scares me is inserting DIMMs since some motherboards have very tight slots that require an absurdly high amount of force to insert DIMMs the first few times.
  5. Best answer selected by mechanized.
  6. 1. Check if you're putting it in right side. ( clip clip side)
    2.If it still doesn't fit then separate 4 pin connector and just install 4pin at its right spot. If it fits perfectly check for the bent pins on motherboard or bent connector slots on cable.
    3.Compare sizes of 4 with 20 pin connector of psu.
    4.If sizes are same Many times people think they are applying enough force and applying bit more will damage the motherboard.It wont break the motherboard just apply more force and don't forget to support the motherboard from the back with your hand and it will fit in perfectly.

I had similar problem with my Corsair CS 650m I though I was applying too much force and it will break if I put in more force to fill that last 1/2mm gap.
    But I took my computer to technician.He was able put 24pin connecter 3 times but with much more force
    and it works fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product