Budget Range: $650 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing, Gaming
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon

Parts Preferences: Anything recommended

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: A good build that can easily sell in the future. Also, I will be recording games like Counter Strike Source/GO, MineCraft, COD4, MW2, MW3, maybe BF3, Skyrim, New Vegas, Fallout 3, etc.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
$650 will be tight, but if you are careful you can do it. Since gaming is secondary to video work, I'd recommend a quad core over a dual core: get an i5-2xxx processor. If you were just gaming, I'd say save some money and get an i3-21xx.
At 1080p, you will want at least an HD 6850 or GTX 460/560 for gaming. You'll probably have to forgo a SSD, but get as much HDD space as funds will allow. Go with WD or Seagate for the best bang for the buck.
Cases are somewhat of a personal choice. And the size depends on how much you will eventually want to put in it. To keep the price down, look into a Cooler Master case. You should be able to find something in the $60-$90 range that will work for you.
A good quality 500W+ PSU will be adequate without breaking the bank. Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100009250%20600014021&IsNodeId=1&Description=antec%20PSU&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20 (I always seem to find that Newegg beats Amazon prices)

Motherboard... Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI
RAM... any 8GB DDR2 1333MHZ that is on sale.

abhop26

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Clutch has a good idea, but making an intel build isnt worth going under the 700$ mark, go with an AMD build just because the Phenom 965 is benchmarked as one of the best value CPU, and the 6850 will last you for 3 or 4 years at least.

*Note* Spend a little extra because you dont want to sell your PC after it is outdated, you want to have room to upgrade and the Asrock extreme 970 will be up gradable for a long time CPU/GPU and has USB 3.0