My Pictures folder problem

For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.

I have been told to;
Right click on folder
Properties
Customize
Select the kind of folder

When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
I would like.

Please help.
Thanks
Alastairg100

edog

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

Alastairg100 wrote:
> For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
folder.
> When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says
'Music Tasks'
> it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
picures.
> Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
right-click &
> then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very

> annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in
some music
> files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it
will be
> something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
where.

> I have been told to;
> Right click on folder
> Properties
> Customize
> Select the kind of folder
>
> When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
all the
> standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are
in the
> folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
contents,
> which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I
go to
> my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
another
> folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type
of folder
> I would like.
>

> Please help.
> Thanks
> Alastairg100

I have seen this problem when the folder is deep in the folder
structure. 3 or 4 folders, or more...down from the root of C:\. Might
help...might not.

can you explain this in a bit more detail.
Thanks
Alastair Gray

"Edog" wrote:

> Alastairg100 wrote:
> > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
> folder.
> > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says
> 'Music Tasks'
> > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
> picures.
> > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
> right-click &
> > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
>
> > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in
> some music
> > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it
> will be
> > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
> where.
> >
> > I have been told to;
> > Right click on folder
> > Properties
> > Customize
> > Select the kind of folder
> >
> > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
> all the
> > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are
> in the
> > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
> contents,
> > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I
> go to
> > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
> another
> > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type
> of folder
> > I would like.
> >

> > Please help.
> > Thanks
> > Alastairg100
>

> I have seen this problem when the folder is deep in the folder
> structure. 3 or 4 folders, or more...down from the root of C:\. Might
> help...might not.

Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

http://www.uscricket.com
"Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E010AA73-5A4E-4C4D-9258-8EA299B3D94D@microsoft.com...
> For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
> When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
> it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
> Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
> then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
> annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
> files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
> something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.
>
> I have been told to;
> Right click on folder
> Properties
> Customize
> Select the kind of folder
>
> When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
> standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
> folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
> which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
> my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
> folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
> I would like.
>

> Please help.
> Thanks
> Alastairg100

When you hit reset it just resets the items in the folder not the folder
options and the toolbar. It comes up with an error saying this.

Please Help
Thanks
Alastair Gray

"David Candy" wrote:

> Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E010AA73-5A4E-4C4D-9258-8EA299B3D94D@microsoft.com...
> > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
> > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
> > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
> > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
> > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
> > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
> > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
> > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.
> >
> > I have been told to;
> > Right click on folder
> > Properties
> > Customize
> > Select the kind of folder
> >
> > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
> > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
> > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
> > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
> > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
> > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
> > I would like.
> >

> > Please help.
> > Thanks
> > Alastairg100

Alastair,

Pls post the exact error message.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" wrote:

> Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E010AA73-5A4E-4C4D-9258-8EA299B3D94D@microsoft.com...
> > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
> > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
> > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
> > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
> > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
> > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
> > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
> > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.
> >
> > I have been told to;
> > Right click on folder
> > Properties
> > Customize
> > Select the kind of folder
> >
> > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
> > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
> > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
> > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
> > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
> > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
> > I would like.
> >

> > Please help.
> > Thanks
> > Alastairg100

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I also have the same problem. My Videos folder thinks its a documents
folder and My Music folder thinks its a pictures folder.

I've reset all folder as was explained to do in the control panel but they
still remain the same even after a restart.

If I right click on either of the folders the Customize pane does not
appear. If I go into one folder and change any of the sub folders that is
fine but no the actual My Videos or My Music folders.

I have changed the default location of My Documents. Should this make any
difference.

I have pointed it to a second drive for backup reasons.

Regards

Jamie

"David Candy" wrote:

> Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
> > folder.
> > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music
> > Tasks'
> > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
> > picures.
> > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
> > right-click &
> > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
> > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some
> > music
> > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will
> > be
> > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
> > where.
> >
> > I have been told to;
> > Right click on folder
> > Properties
> > Customize
> > Select the kind of folder
> >
> > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
> > all the
> > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in
> > the
> > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
> > contents,
> > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go
> > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
> > another
> > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of
> > folder
> > I would like.
> >

> > Please help.
> > Thanks
> > Alastairg100

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Also an associated problem is that by default all of my folders want to
order themselves in reverse alphabetical order.

Any ideas?

"David Candy" wrote:

> Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
> > folder.
> > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music
> > Tasks'
> > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
> > picures.
> > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
> > right-click &
> > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
> > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some
> > music
> > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will
> > be
> > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
> > where.
> >
> > I have been told to;
> > Right click on folder
> > Properties
> > Customize
> > Select the kind of folder
> >
> > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
> > all the
> > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in
> > the
> > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
> > contents,
> > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go
> > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
> > another
> > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of
> > folder
> > I would like.
> >

> > Please help.
> > Thanks
> > Alastairg100

Jamie,

>> If I right click on either of the folders the Customize pane does not appear.

This is normal. The special folders don't have Customize tab in Properties. Here you go:

Click Start, Run and type C:\
Click Tools, Folder Options
In the View tab, click "Reset all folders"
Click OK.
Close the folder

Open "My Pictures" folder. If the problem persist, inspect the "FolderType" registry value, as explained by Keith Miller. More information available at:

http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ehgO1ffTCHA.1496%40tkmsftngp11

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User