My Pictures folder problem

For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.

I have been told to;
Right click on folder
Properties
Customize
Select the kind of folder

When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
I would like.

Please help.
Thanks
Alastairg100
8 answers Last reply
More about pictures folder problem

    Alastairg100 wrote:
    > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
    folder.
    > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says
    'Music Tasks'
    > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
    picures.
    > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
    right-click &
    > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very

    > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in
    some music
    > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it
    will be
    > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
    where.

    > I have been told to;
    > Right click on folder
    > Properties
    > Customize
    > Select the kind of folder
    >
    > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
    all the
    > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are
    in the
    > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
    contents,
    > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I
    go to
    > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
    another
    > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type
    of folder
    > I would like.
    >

    > Please help.
    > Thanks
    > Alastairg100

    I have seen this problem when the folder is deep in the folder
    structure. 3 or 4 folders, or more...down from the root of C:\. Might
    help...might not.

    can you explain this in a bit more detail.
    Thanks
    Alastair Gray

    "Edog" wrote:

    > Alastairg100 wrote:
    > > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
    > folder.
    > > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says
    > 'Music Tasks'
    > > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
    > picures.
    > > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
    > right-click &
    > > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    >
    > > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in
    > some music
    > > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it
    > will be
    > > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
    > where.
    > >
    > > I have been told to;
    > > Right click on folder
    > > Properties
    > > Customize
    > > Select the kind of folder
    > >
    > > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
    > all the
    > > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are
    > in the
    > > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
    > contents,
    > > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I
    > go to
    > > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
    > another
    > > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type
    > of folder
    > > I would like.
    > >

    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Alastairg100
    >

    > I have seen this problem when the folder is deep in the folder
    > structure. 3 or 4 folders, or more...down from the root of C:\. Might
    > help...might not.

    Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E010AA73-5A4E-4C4D-9258-8EA299B3D94D@microsoft.com...
    > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
    > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
    > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
    > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
    > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
    > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
    > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.
    >
    > I have been told to;
    > Right click on folder
    > Properties
    > Customize
    > Select the kind of folder
    >
    > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
    > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
    > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
    > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
    > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
    > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
    > I would like.
    >

    > Please help.
    > Thanks
    > Alastairg100

    When you hit reset it just resets the items in the folder not the folder
    options and the toolbar. It comes up with an error saying this.

    Please Help
    Thanks
    Alastair Gray

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E010AA73-5A4E-4C4D-9258-8EA299B3D94D@microsoft.com...
    > > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
    > > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
    > > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
    > > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
    > > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    > > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
    > > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
    > > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.
    > >
    > > I have been told to;
    > > Right click on folder
    > > Properties
    > > Customize
    > > Select the kind of folder
    > >
    > > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
    > > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
    > > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
    > > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
    > > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
    > > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
    > > I would like.
    > >

    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Alastairg100

    Alastair,

    Pls post the exact error message.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E010AA73-5A4E-4C4D-9258-8EA299B3D94D@microsoft.com...
    > > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music folder.
    > > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music Tasks'
    > > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just picures.
    > > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you right-click &
    > > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    > > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some music
    > > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will be
    > > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and where.
    > >
    > > I have been told to;
    > > Right click on folder
    > > Properties
    > > Customize
    > > Select the kind of folder
    > >
    > > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is all the
    > > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in the
    > > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the contents,
    > > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go to
    > > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to another
    > > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of folder
    > > I would like.
    > >

    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Alastairg100

    I also have the same problem. My Videos folder thinks its a documents
    folder and My Music folder thinks its a pictures folder.

    I've reset all folder as was explained to do in the control panel but they
    still remain the same even after a restart.

    If I right click on either of the folders the Customize pane does not
    appear. If I go into one folder and change any of the sub folders that is
    fine but no the actual My Videos or My Music folders.

    I have changed the default location of My Documents. Should this make any
    difference.

    I have pointed it to a second drive for backup reasons.

    Regards

    Jamie

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
    > > folder.
    > > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music
    > > Tasks'
    > > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
    > > picures.
    > > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
    > > right-click &
    > > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    > > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some
    > > music
    > > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will
    > > be
    > > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
    > > where.
    > >
    > > I have been told to;
    > > Right click on folder
    > > Properties
    > > Customize
    > > Select the kind of folder
    > >
    > > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
    > > all the
    > > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in
    > > the
    > > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
    > > contents,
    > > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go
    > > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
    > > another
    > > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of
    > > folder
    > > I would like.
    > >

    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Alastairg100

    Also an associated problem is that by default all of my folders want to
    order themselves in reverse alphabetical order.

    Any ideas?

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
    > > folder.
    > > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music
    > > Tasks'
    > > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
    > > picures.
    > > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
    > > right-click &
    > > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    > > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some
    > > music
    > > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will
    > > be
    > > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
    > > where.
    > >
    > > I have been told to;
    > > Right click on folder
    > > Properties
    > > Customize
    > > Select the kind of folder
    > >
    > > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
    > > all the
    > > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in
    > > the
    > > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
    > > contents,
    > > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go
    > > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
    > > another
    > > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of
    > > folder
    > > I would like.
    > >

    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Alastairg100

    Jamie,

    >> If I right click on either of the folders the Customize pane does not appear.

    This is normal. The special folders don't have Customize tab in Properties. Here you go:

    Click Start, Run and type C:\
    Click Tools, Folder Options
    In the View tab, click "Reset all folders"
    Click OK.
    Close the folder

    Open "My Pictures" folder. If the problem persist, inspect the "FolderType" registry value, as explained by Keith Miller. More information available at:

    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ehgO1ffTCHA.1496%40tkmsftngp11

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Reset ...

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason now my 'My Pictures' folder now thinks its a music
    > > folder.
    > > When ever I go to it in the top left hand corner it always says 'Music
    > > Tasks'
    > > it thinks that there are music files there whent there aren't just
    > > picures.
    > > Also know you can't view it as a slideshow type thing when you
    > > right-click &
    > > then view. All you do is; thumnails, tiles, icons ect... This is very
    > > annoying seen as I liked the slideshow view. Also if you do put in some
    > > music
    > > files it will come up saying, play all or selection. I know that it will
    > > be
    > > something to do with the settings but I'm not sure which settings and
    > > where.
    > >
    > > I have been told to;
    > > Right click on folder
    > > Properties
    > > Customize
    > > Select the kind of folder
    > >
    > > When I go to proberties there is no customize. Under general there is
    > > all the
    > > standard settings, like read-only and everything and how many mb are in
    > > the
    > > folder. There is also a sharing folder so then you can share the
    > > contents,
    > > which i don't quite understand and at the moment I dont need to. If I go
    > > my music or my video's there is no customize bit either. When I go to
    > > another
    > > folder's properties there is a customize so you can select the type of
    > > folder
    > > I would like.
    > >

    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Alastairg100

Configuration Music Customization Windows XP