Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Clicking noise on PSU?

Last response: in Components
September 20, 2012 5:35:40 AM

I just finished my build, and I have a CORSAIR HX Series HX750 Power supply.
When I PLUGGED IN my power supply, with the switch to on, (But notice I do not turn on the computer), it will make a clicking noise every second. The front power LED on the front of my case also flashes to each click. It's also worth noting that the case fans and GPU fans will start on and off to each interval.
One final thing is that I have done an external build before this, and it started without this problem.
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this problem?
Thanks.

More about : clicking noise psu

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2012 5:49:35 AM

Sounds like you might have mixed up some cables somewhere. Thats the only thing I can think of that might result in something like that, but even then I'm taking a guess.
September 20, 2012 5:57:25 AM

trapper said:
Sounds like you might have mixed up some cables somewhere. Thats the only thing I can think of that might result in something like that, but even then I'm taking a guess.

I tried unplugging everything but the 24 pin and the 8 pin cpu cables, but it the problem still remains. :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2012 6:27:23 AM

That behaviour sounds like PSU overloaded, either a short on the mobo or you've underestimated the power required. Best post your full system specs, though if it still does that with everything disconnected it could be a short...Can't rule out a duff PSU either... A multimeter would help diagnose if you have one.
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:14:05 AM

Did you make sure there are no standoffs left poking the mobo in the back (so to speak), shorting it? All other standoffs screwed tight?
m
l
September 26, 2012 11:59:43 PM

A little while before i unplugged everything but the two cords I mentioned before, I realised my reset switch was in the wrong place - probably the cause of the problem, but even a short while after I put it back in the right place, the problem remained (only for about a few minutes). I tested again after waiting some time, and the problem was gone. Although I'm unsure why the problem continued for a short while after the solution, I guess it was probably the reset switch. Thanks for all the help!
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:00:30 AM

Best answer selected by randomnamexd.
m
l
!