Artifacting 6870. No display with new 560TI

OM3N1R

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello all, first time poster long time browser. I have a few strange and infuriating issues I am looking to solve.

So I have a Gigabyte 6870 which worked fine for the first week or so, but then began displaying strange square artifacts when in Windows 7 only. These artifacts are about the size of an "o" and flicker in and out, usually corresponding to the colors being displayed on the screen. This only occurs when in Windows 7, the card performs phenomenally when gaming, with no issues whatsoever. The problem progresses over time to the point where large grey blocks flicker on the screen after 2-3 hours, and it is nearly impossible to use windows. Boot up a game, and everything is fine... So I plan on RMA'ing this card (easier said than done from Thailand!)

In this vein I went and got a Gigabyte 560TI today, and ran drivercleanerPro to get rid of all my old ATI junk. Installed the 560, installed the drivers, everything went smoothly. When I booted up, I got to the Windows 7 login and it was running at native res. 1440/900. I was happy and typed my Password, windows made it's little noise and then "No Signal" on my monitor flashed 2 or 3 times and rebooted to safe mode prompt :heink:

I booted into safe mode, and checked that the computer was recognizing the card in both Bios and Control panel, it is. I have no clue what might be causing this!

The strangest thing is that the artifacting problem on the 6870 which I have now put back in is like 90% better! WTF!!?!?! That was the reason I got the 560 in the first place!

Specs: Asus P8H61-MLE Mobo
i5-2500k
xfx pro 650 W PSU

So what on Earth is going on here? Yes all my plugs are in and the cards are seated correctly. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Hello,

Normally artifacting is caused by a defective GPU. As for the no display with your 560TI maybe you got a defective card right off the bat?

When you installed your 560TI - did you make sure the BIOS was set to read offf your PEG slot instead of onboard? I'm thinking somehow the BIOS might not have been smart enough to detect that you installed a different GPU and maybe reverted back to your onboard GPU.

One last thing you can try - put the GPU in the other PCIE slot.