Hub and Switch

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hi I am a noob to networking and I wanted to know whats the difference between a Hub and a Switch? Also, What are the advantage and disadvantages of the two? :hello:

BTW...One more queston...What is the best device to extend the broadcast/recieve range of wireless? I have heard of YAGY antenna..seems to be not worth if it if thats the only option

Solution

I suppose sticking with the hub word, the wheel analogy is as good as any so as the spokes radiate outwards from the hub, the switches could go on the end of as many spokes as you wish to extend the network further.

As to antennae, if you have one which can be disconnected (some are built-in) then it can be replaced by a higher gain alternative. Sometimes, though, it's more effective to add in an access point (AP), more effectively to extend the range.

I suppose sticking with the hub word, the wheel analogy is as good as any so as the spokes radiate outwards from the hub, the switches could go on the end of as many spokes as you wish to extend the network further.

As to antennae, if you have one which can be disconnected (some are built-in) then it can be replaced by a higher gain alternative. Sometimes, though, it's more effective to add in an access point (AP), more effectively to extend the range.

Solution

xhairs

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
The difference between a switch and a hub I learned was that a hub will send all traffic out of every port, a switch will send traffic down only the designated port based on layer-2 information (mac address). So you have a hub that sends information everywhere it can possibly send it, and a switch that sends it only down a specific port.