Sign in with
Your question

Trying to diagnose my motherboard

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2012 6:21:11 AM

Sorry if this is quite a bit of reading, my computer has been through a lot and I don't like leaving details out, but at this point I'm desperate.

Alright so quite a while ago I decided to replace the stock heatsink for my processor, but due to my clumsiness upon picking up my computer to move it to a place where I could work with it, it slipped out of my hands and needless to say caused me to shed many tears as my -very- expensive machine bounced up and down my floor. So I quickly plugged it back in to see what the damage was, hoping it would at least turn on, (which it did, right before it shut itself off immediately afterwards) After trying to boot it a few more times this was the same result, except it would still sometimes make it to the Windows startup screen. After a day of showering myself with grief and everyone I know calling me a dunce..

I figured the only thing that broke was the PSU, I quickly purchased a new one and started installing my new CPU fan and PSU. I take everything apart and reassemble everything the way it should be, however this time hitting the power button does...nothing. I made sure to double check that everything was in place before trying to start it again, and once again nothing happened when I pressed the power button.

So I took the whole thing apart --again-- only to realize there are 3 stripped screws stuck in my motherboard [edit: I managed to get them all out. ](probably from my frustration at this point). Currently I have only my motherboard inside my case with one stick of ram in it (everything else has been taken out) and it plugged into my new PSU, and now pressing the power button causes everything to light up for a split second before turning off, making me quite confused.. The OC genie button on it also lights up when I press it, which I thought was interesting. The PSU has been tested on a working computer and it starts up just fine.

Motherboard: MSI Big Bang-XPower

Any help in trying to figure this out would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

More about : diagnose motherboard

May 28, 2012 9:55:18 AM

take all components out of the case and do a 'test-bed' rebuild on a piece of cardboard. add your components one at a time to and try to boot. at first only connect the hdd + 1 stick of ram, then 2 sticks, 3, 4, odd, vga, 2nd hdd. when the system stops wanting to boot - the last component you added is likely causing the trouble.

if your case hit the floor hard there is a possibility it dented or something is lodged behind the mobo causing it to short onto the case [?]

could be your hdd too (probably the most 'shock delicate' piece in your system).

its always useful to have a working pc around to test components etc. if you know the psu is working in a system, and you swap it over to your 'trouble' system and it boots, it gives you a good idea that the 'trouble' systems psu is shot and so on.

best of luck - let us know the results.
m
l
May 28, 2012 10:53:35 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I currently only have my motherboard, processor and 1 stick of ram connected (I've tried all 4 different sticks separately) not all together or two or three though.

Like I said in my post the PSU is fine, it's actually powering the computer I'm using to type this right now with no problems. I haven't connected a HDD to the motherboard since the incident though, I've made sure that the power button also isn't the issue by shorting the start pins.

I took the motherboard out to make sure that there was no metal touching the board and there wasn't, but just to test to see what would happen if it was, i slid the motherboard slightly so that it would touch the side of the case--interestingly enough I got the same result

The LEDs on my motherboard light up for a fourth of a second and go out when I push the power button.

Other things I'm thinking that could cause this problem is perhaps my cooler was just DOA? I'll have to try it on another system to be sure, but I read somewhere that some mobos wont boot without a working CPU fan.

My ultimate conclusion is that either my CPU or my Motherboard got taken out with my old shorted PSU, but I currently have no way to discern between the two because theres no computer around capable of holding my processor, or another processor + heatsink around to confirm that it's my motherboard either.

Is there any other way to know?
m
l
!