Sign in with
Your question

Odd display of text on screen-sometimes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 27, 2012 5:12:53 PM

Hello,

I have an odd problem with the screen display: every now and then, the text on some web pages appears as if some letters are chopped or misshapen.

The letters  q, r, n, for example, They look clipped. Also note some spacing is bad, and some letters such as "de" and "yc" are jammed together

This happens when I view such pages in IE or Chrome but in Firefox, the letters are complete, spacing is correct, etc. My guess is that this is some type of incompatibility with WordPress? But if I knew, I wouldn't be posting here!

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

I've posted a screenshot so you can see exactly what I'm talking about at: www.sparepage.com/odd

Thanks for your time and help.
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2012 5:16:26 PM

are you running some odd resolution?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
March 27, 2012 5:19:09 PM

I call it on resolution as well. Are you running the same resolution as your monitor supports?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2012 6:56:31 PM

i wonder if its compatiblity problem. are you in ie8 or ie9 have you tried compatiblitiy mode.
read more about why it happens here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/webpages-lo...

how to enable compatiblity mode
1.Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

2.Click the Compatibility View button on the Address bar.(looks like a torn piece of paper)

or
press alt (the tools bar will display)
click tools
click compatiblity view settings
check the check box for display all sites in compatiblity mode
m
l
April 6, 2012 2:00:15 AM

alvine said:
are you running some odd resolution?

Don't know. Is 1280 x 720 odd? That's one of the options for my 23" monitor I've used for yeas now.

Is the choice of resolution a factor to be considered for EACH browser used?
m
l
April 6, 2012 2:01:28 AM

Sunius said:
I call it on resolution as well. Are you running the same resolution as your monitor supports?

I set the resolution when I first got the monitor. If resultion is an issue, wouldn't the odd typestyle be the same across all browsers?
m
l
April 6, 2012 2:10:43 AM

the great randini said:
i wonder if its compatiblity problem. are you in ie8 or ie9 have you tried compatiblitiy mode.
read more about why it happens here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/webpages-lo...

how to enable compatiblity mode
1.Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

2.Click the Compatibility View button on the Address bar.(looks like a torn piece of paper)

or
press alt (the tools bar will display)
click tools
click compatiblity view settings
check the check box for display all sites in compatiblity mode

No compatibility button on my browser (IE 8), but I did discover how to get to the compatibilty view settings and check the box for display all sites--and that didn't do anything on the pages that display with this odd character nonsense. Any other ideas, anyone?
m
l
!