CPU overheating when gaming 100'C+ causes crash.

Ersk

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So my CPU idles at 40'C whereas when I play a game it will increase steadily over 5 minutes upto 110'C until it crashes with the screen freezing or blue screening.

I'm no tech guru but this is what I've managed to try so far:

Swapping in a different PSU.
Swapping in different RAM.
Swapping in a different graphics card.

Re-applied thermal paste.

Cleared CMOS.
Reset BIOS to fail safe settings.

Checked fan speed and set to 100% (2900 RPM)

Case is open and all fans are running.

My setup:

Board: Gigabyte GA-M52S-S3P
GPU: Radeon 3870
RAM: 2gb
CPU: AMD Athlon Dual Core 6000+ (3ghz)

It happens on multiple games. The most recent being SWAT 4 which is quite an old game now (2005).

If anyone has any other things i could try it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ersk

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
a better HeatSinkFan...?

The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is pretty good.
or the Thermolab Trinity is somewhat more money and a better cooler

+ you can use these coolers when you upgrade in the future (unless moving to a new socket that comes out)

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Be epically careful in checking but is your heatsink also getting this hot? As Z1NOLNY suggests I suspect the heatsink isn't conducting the heat away due to damage.

A less likely problem is that the CPU die is no longer in contact with the IHS.

Ersk

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Firstly I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new CPU and HSF. My only concern is that if the problem resides with the motherboard reading the temp incorrectly then I will still have a problem. Is there anyway to prove this is not the problem I am having?

I am currently checking temp with speedfan while having a game running in windowed mode.

Ersk

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I've now done a HSF touch test and it is mildly warm when idle and very hot when I'm running the game.

I also let the CPU build upto 100'C and did a restart. It was at 87'C by the time I got into BIOS so I guess the temp reading software was a bit off.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
It sounds like you are maybe using the stock HSF...?

by the time you reach the BIOS I am surprised it was not cooler than that already. the temps will drop Fast once load is removed.

From your descriptions your HSF is being overloaded and cannot dissipate the heat fast enough and experiences thermal runaway when facing a challenging game.... until it crashes out

= Get a better HSF - perhaps a more modern design with heat pipes like the ones I mentioned and problem solved I think.

Ersk

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Ok, I will give that a try.

Thanks. :)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
If you want HSF recommendations within a budget etc, just let us know... They are not all created Equally...

But there are a select few within each budget area that really stand out from the crowd ~_^

InvalidError

Titan

It takes only seconds for CPU temperature to drop once the processing load is removed. You can see this first-hand by starting your favorite monitoring software, let readings stabilize, start Prime95+FurMark, wait a few minutes until temps either stabilize or reach the maximum you feel comfortable with, stop both then keep an eye on temperatures falling.

If your reset the PC when the CPU hit 100C, it could certainly drop below 90C by the time you manage to get in the BIOS. My CPU idles at 45-48C, starting Prime95 makes core temperatures jump to 60C within one reading refresh interval and stopping it makes the temperature drop back down just as fast.

If your HSF is properly installed and holding well, your CPU core temperatures should not get anywhere near 100C. But the fact hat you said the HSF was getting very hot seems to indicate the CPU-HSF contact is at least reasonably good, which is a little perplexing.

As others suggested, you might want to try something like a 212EVO available from Amazon for ~$28. If this still fails to cool your CPU reasonably well then you know you have a major CPU/motherboard problem. At least the 212s can fit on just about any socket out there so if you end up switching to something else, you can re-use it.

Ersk

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks a lot guys. Bought a new heatsink and playing the same game, the CPU struggles to get over 30'C. I'm amazed at the difference. The fan is also only at 1500 rpm which is also twice as slow.

Thanks again,
Ersk.