Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU and motherboard died,. can the CPU and videocard be dead too?

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2012 2:20:35 PM

Hello everybody, I hope you could give some help on my problem,.

Last night, a lightning struck a bridge near our house while I'm using my PC,. The PC is connected on a surge protector, however,. the household lines only uses the traditional fuse instead of a circuit breaker. During the strike,. something inside the PSU blew up and produced a loud bang,. the computer just goes off,. my monitor seems to have died too since it won't power up.

The system is,
CPU: i5 2400
GPU: GTX 460 1GB
PSU: Tacens Supero 500 modular

I immediately disconnected the psu from the outlet and unplugged every power cable inside the case. I didn't notice any bulging capacitors or any weird smell from the motherboard; I swapped in a generic working PSU to test the system and only connected the CPU, Mobo and RAM,. leaving everything else unplugged; the system won't start,. no LED, no beeps.
I could only guess that the motherboard is simply dead,. but there's no way I could test the CPU since its incompatible with the other system and GPU since I it requires two 6 pin PEG connectors.

I then tested the HDD and RAM to another system and they seem to be working,. I could access the contents of the HDD and the RAM is properly detected as 4GB DDR3 1600. I didn't test them any further though.

It'll probably be awhile till I could get a new mobo and decent PSU to test the rest,. could you recommend a decent 450-600w PSU- preferrably modular since I got a small case.

I don't know anyone who could test the CPU and the GPU independently; is there a good chance that they've both (or at least one) survived considering that the RAM and HDD are fine?

All components are well past their warranties.

Thanks,.

Best solution

a c 132 à CPUs
a c 81 V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 2:41:21 PM

The CPU is not directly connected to external devices and has an extra set of voltage regulators between the PSU and CPU so there are fairly good chances that it survived. The GPU might be a somewhat longer shot since there is a possibility that it might have received a zap from the monitor that went bust. If everything was connected to the same power bar though, everything should have been brought to the same potential at the same time and this greatly reduces the likelihood of current jumping between devices.

As for PSUs, anything 380W and up with 80+ Bronze rating and 2x 6-pin PCIe connectors from any of the better brands should do the job.
September 20, 2012 3:01:18 PM

Have you checked for voice recognition and playback? This happened to my friend's number 5 machine and shenanigans ensued.

On a serious note, provided the other PC has a PCI-E slot you could use molex to 6 pin PCI-E power adapters to test your GPU card.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 11:20:24 PM

Best answer selected by friskiest.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:29:01 PM

My GPU requires 2x6pin PEG connectors, but I only have one converter,. also,. my spare PSU is a generic no name brand which is definitely not workable.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:31:21 PM

Thanks alot,. that should shave off some of my worries,. Hope things pan out in a good way,.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:37:58 PM

My son suffered a similar problem recently, while he was taking a shower the power went off briefly and when it came back on his PC refused to work. Out of his system I have managed to recover his HDDs, RAM and GFX card; the PSU, MB and CPU are all dead. I made the mistake of plugging his PSU into my Father's system to test it only too find it killed his CPU too although his MB was not affected. It was an expensive week for me!!

If you get the chance to test all of the components you may find yourself lucky but from my experience I do not recommend plugging your PSU into another system.

All the best.
m
l
!