Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1700 PC for Gaming and Development (First Build) - Questions

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2012 6:57:10 AM

Hello,

I need your opinions and answers for questions on my new PC. I have not built a Desktop before as I've been using laptops all while. I will be using this for gaming occasionally (Assassin's Creed, FIFA, BF3) and also for developing (mobile game development, Photoshop and rarely video editing for those video trailers). I also want to be running Virtual Machines on this. And right now I don't plan to overclock or SLI, but I want to leave an option open for the near future. And since I'm coding, I want a top-class keyboard and illumination too (for those caffeine-induced night coding sessions :D  ).

Also, the parts selected below are tentative. Feel free to suggest me better parts!

------

Approximate Purchase Date: Now and the next couple of weeks, will start building June 2nd week.
Budget Range: $1700-$1900 (don't want to go above this, but neither do I want compromise on quality)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web surfing, software development, virtual machines, gaming
Parts Not Required: Speakers (I have a nice Klipsch speaker system already), Mouse, OS (I have Windows 7 x64)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, amazon.com. Wherever they are cheaper. I also have a Micro Center store nearby.
Parts Preference: None in particular. I just want the best quality.
Overclocking and SLI: Not now. But I want my parts to be capable so that I can try these later.
Monitor Resolution: Anything at or above 1920x1080.

------

CPU: Intel i5-3570K - $239.99
Should I go for i7-3770K cause it has Hyper-threading? Will there be a significant increase in performance (of the virtual machines too)?
EDIT: Bought 3570K from Microcenter for $200. I should be fine with it.

CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO 120mm - $33.99
Suggest any better ones? And I've read that this one is big, so will it fit in the case I've listed below?

Do I need to buy a thermal paste too?

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 ATX Intel - $239.99
I really think this is overkill for me but it's got great reviews. Should I choose the ASRock Z77 Extreme4/6 or the Gigabyte Z77-UD5H over this? Also, will I have to buy a Wifi card if I get any of these?

PSU: Corsair TX V2 750W Modular PSU - $114.49
Since it's my first time building, I really don't know if the Modular would help me. Also, 750W should cover my future OC/SLI requirements, right?

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 - $419.99
Seen lots of people suggest the EVGA GTX 670. Recommend any other brands?

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) - $46.99
I think 8GB should be fine for now, will upgrade later. And is the Corsair Vengeance any better? Which one will run better/cooler?

Case: Corsair 500R White Mid-Tower - $114.99
The case looks awesome and has good airflow, or so I've read. Do suggest me better ones, if any. I need USB 3.0 on the front.

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB - $124.99
Read impressive things about this one.

HDD: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache - $95.99
Rated well, but suggest better ones.

Keyboard, Monitor, Optical Drive: I need suggestions here. As I said above, I need a very good keyboard and if possible, with illuminated keys. And as for the monitor, a good quality 24-inch with NO inbuilt speakers. For the optical drive, a good DVD burner and maybe a BluRay reader (is it possible for both to be in a single drive?).

And will I have to buy any cables separately, or will everything come included?

------

The above totals to about $1400 and the keyboard, monitor and ODD should bring it up to about $1700. So do give me your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!
May 28, 2012 3:19:46 PM

Not sure if that Saitek keyboard is a mechanical one, but if that's your thing then you'll be looking at $70-$100 range for one.
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2012 3:28:33 PM

eddieroolz said:
Not sure if that Saitek keyboard is a mechanical one, but if that's your thing then you'll be looking at $70-$100 range for one.

It is priced at $51. And yes, it is a mechanical one.

And do you have any comments on my build?
m
l
May 28, 2012 3:44:06 PM

you could go with the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB that has wireless and bluetooth. This will save you some money on the motherboard and you wont have to purchase an wifi card seperately.

for your video card, evga and asus make great 670's. If you got evga, get the FTW model. Both asus models on newegg are great. the dc2T is supposed to have higher overlock headroom as opposed to the non T, but both would work great.
m
l
May 28, 2012 3:45:29 PM

For SSD, stick with crucial m4, samsung 830, or intel

And please dont spend $450 on a mobo as goodguy suggests
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 28, 2012 3:51:26 PM

ununtrium said:
It is priced at $51. And yes, it is a mechanical one.

And do you have any comments on my build?

It's not mechanical. Mechanical means it has MX switches and feels very tactile like the old keyboards.

The cheapest mechanical keyboard is the Razer Blackwidow for about $60-$70 dollars.

Also, get an Asrock Extreme 4, as it's excellent at price/performance.

And for the SSD, I would get a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as it performs close to the Wildfire, but is significantly cheaper.

Then, use the extra money for the i7. I think hyperthreading will be useful since you are also doing some CPU heavy work.

Also, maybe this case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And buy the CPU/motherboard at microcenter since their CPU's are dirt cheap and you get a discount when you buy a motherboard with it.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
May 28, 2012 7:16:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

samuelspark said:
It's not mechanical. Mechanical means it has MX switches and feels very tactile like the old keyboards.

Hmm... But I don't quite like those IBM Model M-type keyboards. A more flatter keyboard is my style.

And I'm really confused about the Motherboard as Newegg reviews favor the Sabertooth a lot. I hope I won't run into any problems if I get the ASRock Extreme 4/6, will I?

Also, is the G.Skill Ripjaws too high-profile for me to fit the CPU Heatsink in too?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 28, 2012 9:34:03 PM

ununtrium said:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Hmm... But I don't quite like those IBM Model M-type keyboards. A more flatter keyboard is my style.

And I'm really confused about the Motherboard as Newegg reviews favor the Sabertooth a lot. I hope I won't run into any problems if I get the ASRock Extreme 4/6, will I?

Also, is the G.Skill Ripjaws too high-profile for me to fit the CPU Heatsink in too?

The sabertooth is for people who want to clock their CPU's extremely high.

Also, this keyboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is better for gaming.

I would get G.Skill Ares RAM instead because they are low profile. I wouldn't take any chances as it varies from motherboard to motherboard, cpu cooler to cpu cooler, etc.
May 29, 2012 1:10:06 AM

I have bought the 3570K for $200 from Microcenter, I should be satisfied with it.

samuelspark said:
The sabertooth is for people who want to clock their CPU's extremely high.

Also, this keyboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is better for gaming.

I would get G.Skill Ares RAM instead because they are low profile. I wouldn't take any chances as it varies from motherboard to motherboard, cpu cooler to cpu cooler, etc.

Well, I'll dump that then. So which one of these motherboard's will be better?
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H WB (with Wireless and Bluetooth)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4

And thanks for the info about the Ares, but I don't think I want a RAM that looks fancy (yeah, even the Ripjaws was). How's the Kingston HyperX?
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:29:05 AM

samuelspark said:
HyperX runs at 1.65v and with Intel CPU's you want 1.5v RAM or else it may cause problems.
I would go with the Extreme4 because it costs way less.

Also for the CPU cooler, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... cheaper and better stock performance.

Okay, decided. Extreme4 it is! Thanks! And it has a Broadcom LAN chip in it, so I don't think I will need to buy a Wifi card for it, right?

And the Hyper 212 EVO has a whole lot more reviews than the GeminII. And a $4 difference isn't much. Popular is better?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 1:33:37 AM

You still need a wifi card as the LAN chipset is for wired connections. Fear not as Wifi cards are extremely cheap ($10-$20) and can use USB or PCI to connect to the motherboard.

And on the topic of the CPU cooler, the Hyper 212 Evo is only popular because the Hyper 212+ is popular. I'm just stating that from what I saw, the GeminII offers lower temperatures at stock. Maybe if you add another fan the Hyper 212, you'd get better performance.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:39:13 AM

samuelspark said:
You still need a wifi card as the LAN chipset is for wired connections. Fear not as Wifi cards are extremely cheap ($10-$20) and can use USB or PCI to connect to the motherboard.

And on the topic of the CPU cooler, the Hyper 212 Evo is only popular because the Hyper 212+ is popular. I'm just stating that from what I saw, the GeminII offers lower temperatures at stock. Maybe if you add another fan the Hyper 212, you'd get better performance.

Any Wifi card suggestion from Newegg or Microcenter?

And yes, I agree with you on the CPU cooler. I'll see what I can get. Thanks for that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 6:04:07 PM

Please pick a best answer to close the thread as it helps the mods out a lot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 6:23:34 PM

ununtrium said:
Any Wifi card suggestion from Newegg or Microcenter?

And yes, I agree with you on the CPU cooler. I'll see what I can get. Thanks for that.

I've had good experience with the D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter, but it is on the expensive side. It's fast and has good signal.
m
l
June 1, 2012 9:24:26 PM

Best answer selected by Ununtrium.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 9:34:28 PM

ununtrium said:
Oh sorry. Forgot about that. Best answer so far selected.

Also how's this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

It looks fine to me. The advantage of a USB wireless adapter is that it's easy. The internal one works better if you're kind of far from the router.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 9:35:04 PM

Should be fine. :)  Have fun with your new computer.
m
l
June 1, 2012 9:44:48 PM

Thanks. Will be building soon!
m
l
!