Worth upgrading to i5 3570K from FX 8120?

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Considering it, because soon the FX will begin to struggle with newer upcoming games, and it's not generally a gaming cpu either.

Would i be able to overclock the i5 a lot with an Antec Kühler 920?

And which mobo would you recommend for the i5? Looking at the ASRock Extreme 4

pauls3743

Distinguished
Everyone, including myself, slates AMD's FX processors. The reality is, they're not that bad a chip, just not as powerful as the i5. I would suggest to wait until your chip does struggle with the newer games and then look around at what's available, unless you've got money to burn...

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Burning money is always a pleasure, but your advice is actually great since it's doing BF 3 at Ultra with no issues at all, so it might be an idea to wait.

But, would the Kühler be able to overclock the i5 "hard", around the 4.5 Ghz?

Currently having 29 idle and 52 load with the FX 8120, but the fans are although only running at 40% speed, so i'm pretty sure myself it would be able to.

Have a 6950 already, doing great so i'm not sure if i should upgrade that, else i have loads to spent on a new gpu.

The main problem is my mobo, which is some relatively cheap stuff (m5a78l-le) and can't handle that much OC to the CPU, i think it's around 4.2 GHz.

Considering it, because soon the FX will begin to struggle with newer upcoming games, and it's not generally a gaming cpu either.

Actually the reverse is true. Direct X 11 games are the newest, latest and most "sexy" games. These games the FX-8s perform just fine in.. With no issues.. It is the games made to older standards with DX9 for example that the BD's take hits in.

Bottom line, no, I wouldn't upgrade.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg10/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-deus-ex-human-revolution.html

The main problem is my mobo, which is some relatively cheap stuff (m5a78l-le) and can't handle that much OC to the CPU, i think it's around 4.2 GHz.

Thats not a horrible daily OC.

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Oh, i actually didn't think of that. So i should just wait for haswell?

In some ways it is horrible, since the turbo gets it up to 4.0 GHz, so it's only 200 Mhz over turbo, and that ain't a lot.

Well. let me ask you this.. Is there anything you do with your computer now that you think could be done better? If the answer is no, then I'd wait until such a date and time when the answer is yes.

I went back and read your original post, it doesn't seem you have any complaints about your current setup, rather you're concerned about a future issue that may or may not materialize. The 6950 is a decent video card, if thats the one you have now, but there are better ones out there.

But yea, your overclock is decent. Maybe you could get a better one out of a better board, I just don't think its worth it. You're only guarenteed the stock speed when you buy a CPU, overclock-able model or not. Overclocking is just gravy. The turbo only charges up when its called into service, so I wouldn't look at it as only being 200mhz over the turbo, its 1GHZ over the stock speed. You're running all 8 cores at that frequency constantly. And yes, 4.2 is a nice OC on any CPU.

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Actually there ain't any problems at the moment, runs everything pretty much maxed out.

You actually got me away from a CPU upgrade, and kinda talked me into looking for a better GPU, but i'll just wait with that. When it starts struggling i'll just give it a little OC.

Thank you.