Cpu running at 100% almost solved

millturn

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I had a post about my cpu that runs at 100% all the time. The task manager and Process Explorer showed nothing abnormally high so i started in safe mode to see and the cpu still was at 100% and it was. Then i went to msconfig and turned on the diagnostic start up with just basic services running and the cpu was fine. My question now is how to find the service that is causing the problem? Would I go back to msconfig and shut off things in the services tab and reboot to see if it worked?

If you are in the task manager under processes it should tell you what is eating up all the processor time. There is a whole tab just for that.

Also, has it always been this way or did it only become this way later?

Also, what processor is in the computer and what OS is the computer running?

millturn

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

As I said the task manager does not show anything abnormally high, this problem started about a year ago but only lasted a day or two, the computer is a Dell inspiron with an amd Sempron LE-1300.

I believe it may be a compatibility issue

It might just be because its an AMD 2.3 GHZ single core trying to run Windows 7. That is more XP speed.

You could try reinstalling Windows 7 and slow rolling the install of other stuff.

Either that or just start uninstalling things one after another till the processor usage quits hanging out at 100%. Whatever you uninstalled last would obviously be the thing you don't want to reinstall as you put the other stuff back on.

What anti-virus are you using?

It could also be that between your OS and your anti-virus constantly scanning in the background that you have no resources left for other stuff.

Back in like 2000 when I was a network admin in a 2500 user environment with mostly single core desktops people used to complain all the time that windows + anti virus + office apps alone killed all their performance.

In the last few years I haven't seen that as much, because most enterprise desktops and laptops are multi-core these days so the OS and Anti-Virus can be handled by 1 core and leave 1 whole core for productivity apps, giving pretty good performance in general.

If the anti-virus you are using is something heavy weight (Symantec/McAfee) you might try something light weight instead like Microsoft Security Essentials.

TRENDING THREADS