What is the GDDR5 for in Video Card

CuckooVids

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello,
First of all this is my very first question, im still new in computers and want to build my first rig.
My question is why do some graphics card have 1.5 gb or 3 gb. What are they for?

Solution
Graphics cards have memory to store the information needed to render an image onto your screen.
GDDR 5 is the latest version of that, for a modern PC you want to be sure your card has GDDR 5

The amount 1GB 1.5GB 2GB or even more only really make a big difference depending on what you mainly want the PC to do and at what resolution your monitor will be displaying.

More is not always better or even needed.

Mactronix :)

CuckooVids

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Do they make any difference, like in, gaming or video rendering?

Graphics cards have memory to store the information needed to render an image onto your screen.
GDDR 5 is the latest version of that, for a modern PC you want to be sure your card has GDDR 5

The amount 1GB 1.5GB 2GB or even more only really make a big difference depending on what you mainly want the PC to do and at what resolution your monitor will be displaying.

More is not always better or even needed.

Mactronix :)

Solution

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Without that RAM your GPU would be unable to keep up with the demands that the games put on your system. If it can't have it's own buffer separate from the primary RAM then it wouldn't be able to queue items properly for processing.

You see integrated GPUs in motherboards and newer CPUs all the time... these use the main system RAM, though this makes them leagues slower than dedicated video cards with their own RAM. Some video cards have DDR3 and not GDDR5 on them, which is the same as system DDR3, but having it on the same bus as the GPU make it loads quicker. Doing it this way also doesn't eat up your system RAM as integrated GPUs can eat up to 1.5GB of your system RAM.