Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade from onboard video want ati radeon

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 27, 2012 8:31:05 PM

i am looking to upgrade from the onboard video im looking to purchase asap and will purchase just about anywhere my budget is $80 buying my dad a video card

current system specs
mobo- gigabyte GA-MA69GM-s2h
with a AMD phenom 9600 2.3ghz quad core
6gb ram
windows 7 64 bit
500 watt psu
nothing is overclocked

im hoping to stick to ati radeon because i heard it works better with AMD correct me if im wrong and also because onoard video is ATI so i had heard nvidia wont install well i had already installed a pny nvidia 8400 gs and i couldnt get the drivers to install or for it to work for some unkown reason so now id like to try a different card

the computer is used mainly for browsing with occasional pictures and movies and once in a while it will play battlefield 2 the graphics card has to have hdmi it is hooked up via hdmi to a 42 in LG LED tv

will take any advice would like to get this figured out asap if possible also i would love to only spend 50 but i will spend maximum 80 and im in the usa
March 27, 2012 8:55:50 PM

See if you can get a 5770 or 6770 in your price range. That's about as high as you can get in that price range. Very good cards for the money and will do everything you require. Will power newer games if you change your mind, but possibly not at highest settings.
March 27, 2012 9:14:32 PM

i have a asus 6770 on my computer and its great but my dad doesnt need although i may have missed presented my self previously im not looking to run any crazy games at max settings or anything thank you for your response though the 2 cards im real stuck on are worlds apart i found a ati 5450 1gb ddr3 for 30 dollars i really like that price but i found a ati 5670 for 75 dollars and 1gb ddr5 is it really worth the differnce and is there any cards in between that will save me a little money?
Related resources
March 27, 2012 9:15:00 PM

Doing a quick search, this is the best AMD I could find 50-80$ without considering open box, refurb, or used and no Nvidia. My advice is to consider Nvidia. Also, the 8400GS isn't far behind this price range, so I would try to bump it up a few bucks if possible for a 6770/5770.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6670-PCI-Expres...
March 27, 2012 9:18:05 PM

Sorry, posted at the same time. The card I sent you is a generation newer and 5 bucks cheaper. Go with that. If gaming is not a concern now nor in the future, why do you want to upgrade off of the onboard video? The 5450 will work for that, but I have no experience gaming running any games whatsoever on it so I can't comment.
March 27, 2012 9:23:40 PM

thank you for the response sorry im still learning little by little the graphics cards confuse me because higher number doesnt always mean better so i just listen to everyone but so what i had heard about nvidia not working is wrong because when i tried to install that 8400 gs on this motherboard it wouldnt install the driver software and wouldnt work and also he plays games occasionally but nothing too new mainly like battlefield 1942 and only sometimes and the onboard video gets choppy sometimes
March 27, 2012 9:25:03 PM

thank you for the response sorry im still learning little by little the graphics cards confuse me because higher number doesnt always mean better so i just listen to everyone but so what i had heard about nvidia not working is wrong because when i tried to install that 8400 gs on this motherboard it wouldnt install the driver software and wouldnt work and also he plays games occasionally but nothing too new mainly like battlefield 1942 and only sometimes and the onboard video gets choppy sometimes
March 27, 2012 9:39:13 PM

amatuerbuilder92 said:

Well, without a doubt I can tell you that your driver issue IS fixable. You may be over your head in trying to fix it. When you installed the video card, did you plug your monitor into the new card BEFORE installing the drivers? I'd also go into the BIOS first and force it to use the PCIE graphics over the Embedded chip, before attempting to install the drivers. Then I would also uninstall the old drivers and disable the old chip if possible.

Otherwise... If this message is true, then indeed your entire reason for upgrading cards IS to game regardless if that's what your dad does most of the time. The only reason you want to upgrade is to give your dad a better gaming experience. I would suggest trying to find an open box 5770. It will do nicely for you probably. The 6670 might also be acceptable. I wouldn't go lower because you are looking at a marginal difference in the 8400gs you already have.

Yes, the higher number isn't always better. A 5970 is better than a 6770 by a good bit. Naturally, the price tends to be in order however... at least a good estimate. The 680 is cheaper than the 7970, but I'd say the 680 also performs better, but that just hasn't had time to iron the pricing out. I THINK, the 6000 level card will give you the exact same performance as a 5770 at a slightly lower power draw. (And it's more available).

You could consider waiting for AMD to release more 7000 series cards and see how they fair.
March 27, 2012 11:36:50 PM

thank you for the reply and i am going to continue shopping but ive decided since the 8400 is only a month old to make it work so ive started a new thread about that if u would like to discuss how to fix it id love the help as preliminary info i installed the card disabled the onboard in the bios changed the setting to pci because its a pci card and then i unistalled the old drivers and disabled the onboard graphics then tried to install the nvidia drivers which installed perfectly i installed the newest ones but as soon as i reboot it has a code 43 but registers it as an nvidia 8400 gs
March 28, 2012 2:56:23 PM

okay thank you for the thoughtful replies but im going to save up and just give my dad my 5770 and buy myself something better down the road but incase anyone is wondering i solved my install issue with the 8400gs for some reason it had 6gb ddr2 ram installed and when i removed a 1gb stick the graphics card now works flawlessly and i have no idea why but it works
March 28, 2012 6:24:01 PM

amatuerbuilder92 said:
okay thank you for the thoughtful replies but im going to save up and just give my dad my 5770 and buy myself something better down the road but incase anyone is wondering i solved my install issue with the 8400gs for some reason it had 6gb ddr2 ram installed and when i removed a 1gb stick the graphics card now works flawlessly and i have no idea why but it works

Glad to know you got it worked out. It always seems to be something weird like that.
!