Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$3000 3D modeling/rendering workstation (ADVICE NEEDED)

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 28, 2012 9:49:00 AM

Hello everyone,
My name is Alberto Barroso, this is my first time building a PC and I'm in need of some good advice. I've got no experience whatsoever, just know the basics.
The main goal is to build a powerful workstation dedicated to 3d modeling and rendering.
Anyway, here's some information. Any help, advice, opinion or suggestion is highly appreciated.


------------------------------------------------------------------------


Approximate Purchase Date: Less than a month.

Budget Range: $2,900 - $3,200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: BIM/3D modeling (3ds Max/Revit), Rendering (Vray/MentalRay/Lumion), CAD (AutoCAD), Image Editing(PS), Audio Editing, Video Editing (multimedia).

Parts Not Required: Keyboard and Mouse (I'm open to any suggestions though)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: México

Parts Preferences: Your choice.

Overclocking: Maybe (Should I?)

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (suggestions?)

Additional Comments: I just want to build a powerful workstation capable of satisfying my 3d modeling and rendering needs.


------------------------------------------------------------------------


This is what I've got so far:


CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket & Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH

Graphic Card: PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive & Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical Drive: LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Os: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - OEM


http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
May 28, 2012 10:05:48 AM

dantalion said:
Hello everyone,
My name is Alberto Barroso, this is my first time building a PC and I'm in need of some good advice. I've got no experience whatsoever, just know the basics.
The main goal is to build a powerful workstation dedicated to 3d modeling and rendering.
Anyway, here's some information. Any help, advice, opinion or suggestion is highly appreciated.


------------------------------------------------------------------------


Approximate Purchase Date: Less than a month.

Budget Range: $2,900 - $3,200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: BIM/3D modeling (3ds Max/Revit), Rendering (Vray/MentalRay/Lumion), CAD (AutoCAD), Image Editing(PS), Audio Editing, Video Editing (multimedia).

Parts Not Required: Keyboard and Mouse (I'm open to any suggestions though)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: México

Parts Preferences: Your choice.

Overclocking: Maybe (Should I?)

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (suggestions?)

Additional Comments: I just want to build a powerful workstation capable of satisfying my 3d modeling and rendering needs.


------------------------------------------------------------------------


This is what I've got so far:


CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket & Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH

Graphic Card: PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive & Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical Drive: LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Os: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - OEM


http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


you made some great choice for your build.i would suggest the following changes-
1-the stock fan of intel lga2011 cooler is not good.i would suggest this one-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2-i won't suggest that power supply and you don't even need 1000w.a quality 850w is enough.i would suggest this one-
nzxt hale82 850w modular-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3-for modelling and 3d stuff,IPS panel is a better choice.dell U2312HM is a reasonably priced IPS monitor-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
other things look good to me.
and one more thing,you have got an unlocked cpu, monster motherboard,you should overclock.
good luck ;) 
May 28, 2012 10:24:32 AM

hellfire24 said:
you made some great choice for your build.i would suggest the following changes-
1-the stock fan of intel lga2011 cooler is not good.i would suggest this one-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2-i won't suggest that power supply and you don't even need 1000w.a quality 850w is enough.i would suggest this one-
nzxt hale82 850w modular-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3-for modelling and 3d stuff,IPS panel is a better choice.dell U2312HM is a reasonably priced IPS monitor-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
other things look good to me.
and one more thing,you have got an unlocked cpu, monster motherboard,you should overclock.
good luck ;) 


Thank you hellfire24, I really had no idea about what to do with the PSU. I'm going to make all those changes to my wishlist right now.
Now, when you say the stock fan of intel lga2011 cooler is not good, you mean only the fan right, or should I change the whole cooler? And, is it easy to replace it?
Related resources
May 28, 2012 10:27:24 AM

dantalion said:
Hello everyone,

This is what I've got so far:


CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket & Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH

Graphic Card: PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive & Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical Drive: LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Os: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - OEM


http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


The Coolermaster HAF X is a great choice, I have one and I'm very satisfied with it. The fans are very quiet, even at full speed.

For your system, you don't need more than a 750W PSU. I have the Corsair AX750 modular, it has great reviews and is also very quiet.

The CPU is a good choice.

The RAM looks good, but the heat spreaders are very tall. I bought G.Skill Ares 2133 (4x4GB).

The GPU choice seems right.

You really must include a SSD disk drive for installing OS and applications. It will speed up your workflow, it's a promise ;)  Choose a 128 or 256GB Samsung or Intel, they seem to be the most reliable. I have two Samsung 830 256GB, one for SO and apps/games, and the other for personal files and working disk (photo editing).

For cooling the CPU, I have the Noctua NH-D14, you can buy the 2011 edition. It's very quiet and very effective, right now I'm running mine with only one fan.

An IPS monitor is mandatory for your kind of work. Don't waste money on cheap TN monitors, they're crap.

I hope this helps.

May 28, 2012 10:30:50 AM

dantalion said:
Thank you hellfire24, I really had no idea about what to do with the PSU. I'm going to make all those changes to my wishlist right now.
Now, when you say the stock fan of intel lga2011 cooler is not good, you mean only the fan right, or should I change the whole cooler? And, is it easy to replace it?


yeah that cooler is fine just swap out the stock fan.it is very easy to remove the stock fan and mount another one.
May 28, 2012 10:31:50 AM

Dont need that much Wattage and you'd be better off with a more notable PSU maker.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'd suggest this one as it has a modular system and is 80+ silver rated. Plus Corsair are known for their high quality power supply's.

Agree with the above, for editing you need an IPS panel monitor. I have no clue other than that so follow his advice.

Everything else looks perfect to me.
May 28, 2012 10:34:01 AM

lusofox said:

You really must include a SSD disk drive for installing OS and applications. It will speed up your workflow, it's a promise ;)  Choose a 128 or 256GB Samsung or Intel, they seem to be the most reliable. I have two Samsung 830 256GB, one for SO and apps/games, and the other for personal files and working disk (photo editing).

FYI crucial has lowest SSD failure rates and also provides great SSDs for low price.no offence to intel and samsung but i won't suggest intel or samsung instead of crucial
Quote:
I hope this helps.

if you did the right thing then i am damn sure you helped.no need to write :) 
May 28, 2012 10:42:07 AM

hellfire24 said:
yeah that cooler is fine just swap out the stock fan.it is very easy to remove the stock fan and mount another one.


Excellent, thanks again hellfire24.
May 28, 2012 10:44:38 AM

anything else you wanna ask?
May 28, 2012 10:48:57 AM

Just realised, if you'r sinking this much money into it, you may want to buy a UPS to protect it in case of a power outage or a surge. Otherwise a surge could blow your PSU and the rest of the PC with it. Chances are small, but with this much money on the line you might as well.

Cant find any UPS' on Newegg, but heres one that should fit the bill.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

May 28, 2012 10:51:09 AM

^not required!
May 28, 2012 10:51:12 AM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. So far I've already changed the monitor to an IPS panel monitor, PSU to a better brand with less power and added another fan to replace the stock fan of intel lga2011 cooler.
May 28, 2012 10:56:02 AM

^good decision.
May 28, 2012 10:56:15 AM

manofchalk said:
Just realised, if you'r sinking this much money into it, you may want to buy a UPS to protect it in case of a power outage or a surge. Otherwise a surge could blow your PSU and the rest of the PC with it. Chances are small, but with this much money on the line you might as well.

Cant find any UPS' on Newegg, but heres one that should fit the bill.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...



That's interesting, I live in Mexico... and we've got some constant trouble with electricity, so I wouldn't doubt a power surge at some point. It might be a good idea. Thanks Manofchalk.
May 28, 2012 11:03:13 AM

hellfire24 said:
anything else you wanna ask?



Would it be a good idea to add a second GPU. Maybe not the same one, a cheaper one, like Quadro 2000 or 600... (not sure if they are SLI enabled... or if it is possible)
May 28, 2012 11:04:10 AM

^no you need two similar gpus for SLi.
May 28, 2012 11:07:56 AM

hellfire24 said:
^no you need two similar gpus for SLi.


So I would have to buy two Quadro 4000. Would it make a noticeable difference?
May 28, 2012 11:21:44 AM

hellfire24 said:
yes.


Ok, and would it be better to get, say, two Quadro 2000D instead of just one Quadro 4000. Two mid-range instead of one High-End or should I just go with the High-End?
May 28, 2012 11:24:29 AM

just go with a single high end card.two low end card<high end single card.main issues are
-more power consumption
-more heat
-more noise
-you may face some driver issues too.
May 28, 2012 11:28:57 AM

hellfire24 said:
just go with a single high end card.two low end card<high end single card.main issues are
-more power consumption
-more heat
-more noise
-you may face some driver issues too.


Thanks hellfire24. You've been really helpful. I really appreciate it.
!