Need some opinions on a Mobo/Cpu choice htpc

wxcarne89

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hello,
I've been reading this forum for ages now, you guys have helped me a million times by now, this is my first post here though. I'm a Computer Engineering Technology major (Minor in computer information systems) and A+ certified, so I think I will start posting on here regularly. I am here today to ask for your guys opinion on a build I am considering.

So I recently purchased some mono block amplifiers, and an emotiva XDA-1 USB dac. I am wanting to build a PC into a rackmount style chassis. I plan to use it specifically as a media streamer/mass storage device, in my a/v setup.

My budget is tight, and I already have the following components laying around:
Raidmax 640W PSU
ASUS radeon 4670 1gb
WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Toshiba 750gb 2.5" hdd (this is actually a pretty nice drive)
and lastly I have a 80gb intel 320 SSD for my boot drive
Windows 7 64bit or 32bit enterprise
An apple bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad
A blackout buster battery backup APU

Long term I may add a blu-ray player, and I would like to add a remote to the system. But looking at what I have laying around I feel I would be better off building a simple PC as opposed to buying a WD tv live or something.

So what I need to get would be a micro-atx Chassis, a micro-atx MOBO, a cpu and RAM. So my first question to you guys is anything intel LGA775 just to old to spend money on? Since I am using a dedicated graphics card, and an SSD, I feel that I could get by with a very simple chipset.

I can purchase a used intel c2d or core2 quad, and a simple mobo that supports ddr3 memory for about $100.
I am also willing to use AMD, maybe something like a athlon x2, but I am very far out of the loop on AMD these days.
But My other option is to get a nice motherboard such as the Asus maximus gene IV for $120, and a very basic pentium celeron etc.(Then upgrade to a core series down the road) I just really don't know much about intels chips outside of the core series.

I appreciate your guys time, please feel free to chime in w/ your opinions. My vision for this system is for it to be a very simple device, in the same form factor a stereo receiver, that is a place for me to store all of my media, stream video, and also do some web browsing. Thanks!

popatim

Titan
You can go either route, AMD or Intel for what you want. The Intels perform better than their AMD counter parts. I upgraded my htpc to and Athlon2 x3 because I felt the x2 was just a tad too sluggish. My other htpc runs an i3 and its very responsive so my suggestion would be an i3 with a cheap $50 motherbd. With the integrated HD video of the i3 you wont really need your 4670 unless you might want to do some light gaming which the i3 would also be able to handle easily.

Even something like the pentium G850 would work fine for you and its roughly $65...

An i3 will beat an Athlon II x3 in pretty much every way regarding performance, but it's also probably about twice as expensive. A good Phenom II x4 can easily compete with the i3s.

wxcarne89

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. This is the first time I have built a PC for myself honestly. I just really didn't have much experience with the bottom end of the intel series, and I am WAY out of the loop on amd since I quit gaming. I am going to pick up a cheap board, and just grab the first lga1155 intel cpu I see, and run it until I get around to building a second htpc off of a mini itx design. When I do this I am going to grab an i3 for my main htpc. There are some really cool cases out there for the mini itx category, and they can be built for cheap!