Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade CPU

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2012 6:56:12 PM

I currently own a amd fx-4100 cpu, i have it OCed to 4.0GHz on stock cooler. Im not very satisfied with the performance iam getting. So i was wondering if i should upgrade my CPU, and if so what should i get. Should i wait for the revision of AMD's Bulldozer chips or buy a Phenom x4 965 BE. I'd rather have intel but they are a little pricey and id rather not have to buy a new mobo. But if its really worth it i will, also i am planning on buying a aftermarket cooler (Most likely going to be the coolermaster Hyper 212) and OC somemore for the time being. So what would be the best option? please help.

More about : upgrade cpu

September 20, 2012 7:08:32 PM

Not satisfied with performance ? Where ? Gaming ?
If gaming then the performance issue can be due to a comparatively weak graphic card.
Which gc do you have ?
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:12:36 PM

hitesh12 said:
Not satisfied with performance ? Where ? Gaming ?
If gaming then the performance issue can be due to a comparatively weak graphic card.
Which gc do you have ?

im referring to gaming performance, and i have a EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB. I mean its not like everything is un playable but it isnt all that great.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 7:16:33 PM

How much fps increase was there after overclocking ?
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:18:51 PM

hitesh12 said:
How much fps increase was there after overclocking ?

Not really that much. Maybe around 2-4 frames.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:35:03 PM

Wait a month for the release of the Piledriver FX chips - they may be good enough to warrant an upgrade, and you could get to keep your OC-friendly motherboard.

2-4 FPS difference from overclocking is telling you CPU performance is not the issue. What settings / screen res are you using?
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:01:45 PM

Ags1 said:
Wait a month for the release of the Piledriver FX chips - they may be good enough to warrant an upgrade, and you could get to keep your OC-friendly motherboard.

2-4 FPS difference from overclocking is telling you CPU performance is not the issue. What settings / screen res are you using?

my native resolution is 1360x768, lets say im playing black mesa source on high/medium settings, there are alot of areas were i get huge drops in framerate
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:04:34 PM

I would have thought that a 560 Ti could handle that resolution... Do you have AA enabled?
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:50:49 PM

Ags1 said:
I would have thought that a 560 Ti could handle that resolution... Do you have AA enabled?

yes only 4x though
m
l
!