Is my CPU running correctly? (CPU_Z readings)

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
got a new PC. about 2 weeks old. the pc specs...

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherb
Corsair 850TXV2
Cooler Master TPC-812 CPU Cooler
EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB
Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800)
Crucial m4 CT256M4SSD2 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Int
Seagate 2TB 7200rpm SATA

running CPU-Z shows something kinda like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji0LLWBL-W4

different mobo of course, but i'm getting Core speed and multiplier readings that keep jumping around. i'm not running any programs. just surfing net.
core speed is mostly 1599-1600 but will sometimes jump to 1700 and even 3900. multiplier is at 16 mostly but will jump to 27-29 and sometimes it hits 39. all the vids i'm finding of CPU-Z running show a constant state. is something wrong with mine? shouldn't it mostly be running at the 3900 speeds rather than the 1600?

i'm new to the PC thing so maybe mine is supposed to be that way. is my stuff outta whack? thanks!

Solution
It's because of SpeedStep, and it's totally normal. It's working perfectly and as expected.

The reason you see a higher speed on CPU-Z Validations (like mine), is that people either Validate while stress testing, so the CPU is at full speed, or (like I did), they just enabled the High Performance power plan in Windows to force full speed, regardless of load.

Edit: Left an answer on that vid too, to help that guy out, lol.
It's because of SpeedStep, and it's totally normal. It's working perfectly and as expected.

The reason you see a higher speed on CPU-Z Validations (like mine), is that people either Validate while stress testing, so the CPU is at full speed, or (like I did), they just enabled the High Performance power plan in Windows to force full speed, regardless of load.

Edit: Left an answer on that vid too, to help that guy out, lol.

Solution

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Aha! i see thank you. yep as soon as i set Performance plan to High, it jumps up to, and stays at the 3900 range. odd tho as i set Performance plan to high a week ago when playing Skyrim. does the plan reset after each reboot?
and does the High Performance plan actually help when gaming or does it automatically go to high when running a game? thanks DJ!

For me, at least, the power plan stays enabled after a reboot, but as far as if it helps in games? Yes, a bit, but it's not a drastic difference (a few FPS, at most) because like you allude to, SpeedStep (and Turbo) will allow the CPU to run as fast as it needs to in gaming.

And you're welcome. :)

Yes exactly right.