Sign in with
Your question

Celeron

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2012 7:21:59 PM

Will Intel ever add hyper-threading to it's celeron processors. it seems logical since the Pentium has 2cores/2threads, the I3 has 2cores/4threads, and the I5 has 4cores/4threads.

More about : celeron

a c 152 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 7:45:04 PM

shafe88 said:
Will Intel ever add hyper-threading to it's celeron processors. it seems logical since the Pentium has 2cores/2threads, the I3 has 2cores/4threads, and the I5 has 4cores/4threads.

Are you talking about desktop or laptop CPU's. Pentium desktop CPU's don't have hyperthreading and neither does the I5 only the I3 and I7 do. They haven't added hyper threading yet in how many generations so they probably won't. The Celeron and Pentiums are low end desktop CPU's.
September 20, 2012 7:52:46 PM

I'm talking about desktop CPU's. I know the Pentium or i5 doesn't have hyper-treading like the i3 and i7.
Related resources
a c 151 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 20, 2012 7:58:54 PM

Naturally they won't as they would only end up competing against the i3. Just look at the lineup and it should be obvious that the celeron/pentiums are what they are to fit in their niche of the market.

If you were making a dual core HT processor and wanted to compete at a lower price point, what would you do? Redesign and redevelop a processor or disable HT on the one you already make and market those?

dual core (pentium/celeron)
dual core hyper threaded (i3)
quad core (i5)
quad core hyper threaded (i7)
hex core hyper threaded (i7)

(there are no consumer Intel Octo-cores yet)
a c 152 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 7:59:18 PM

Like I said they have had the Celeron and Pentium name for awhile now and they never added hyper threading and there is no reason for them to add hyper threading as it would take away I3 sales. As I said the Celeron and Pentium's are low end CPU's they are entry level CPU's for everyday work like Word, Excel, Power Point , checking emails and watching youtube video's. They aren't meant for CPU intensive work like Auto Cad or video rendering.
September 20, 2012 8:37:46 PM

I'm talking about the single core celerons. At least Hyper-threading would give the single core celerons 2 threads.
September 20, 2012 8:53:34 PM

Intel would rather have you spend another $10 on a dual-core if you want 2 threads.
!