Need to replace Olympus C-4000

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 15, 2005 9:23:16 AM

I need to replace my Olympus C-4000.
I lost it! That's why I need to replace it.

I liked the size; it fit well in my large hands. The C-7000 feels a little
small forcing me to pay attention to how I hold it instead of just grabbing
and shooting.
I liked the price of the SmartMedia memory cards including the fact that my
computer had a slot for the SmartMedia card; I prefer just sticking it in my
computer to using cables.
I liked that it used AA batteries. The C-7000 uses that expensive
proprietary battery.

I do like that the C-7000 has a built in lens cover.

I'm looking for a replacement, an affordable one, for my lost C-4000.

Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to keep
track of memories.

More about : replace olympus 4000

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:00:37 AM

"Bryan" <bryan.459@pac.bell.net> wrote in

> I need to replace my Olympus C-4000.
> I lost it! That's why I need to replace it.
> (...)
> Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to
> keep track of memories.

It seems like you would really like another C-4000. Why not buy a used
one? For example eBay would seem to have a couple available.

As for the current cameras, since C-7000 seems a little small to you, try
the 5060, 7070 or 8080, all of which are a bit sturdier and offer a more
wideangle lens, more like the one on the C-4000.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm&gt;
July 15, 2005 5:00:16 PM

One of the reasons I've used Oly cameras for years is the fact that they
used AA batteries. When it came time to upgrade last time I went with
the 8080 even though I was a bit concerned about the proprietary
battery. I like the proprietary battery because it lasts a very long
time and I found new spares on ebay for $6 each. The cheap batteries
have been working fine now for 9 months.

I also thought I would like to use the smart media cards I already had
but since the maximum capacity is only 128 megs they just aren't big
enough to be of much use. The 8080 uses compact flash and XD both.

Bryan wrote:
> I need to replace my Olympus C-4000.
> I lost it! That's why I need to replace it.
>
> I liked the size; it fit well in my large hands. The C-7000 feels a little
> small forcing me to pay attention to how I hold it instead of just grabbing
> and shooting.
> I liked the price of the SmartMedia memory cards including the fact that my
> computer had a slot for the SmartMedia card; I prefer just sticking it in my
> computer to using cables.
> I liked that it used AA batteries. The C-7000 uses that expensive
> proprietary battery.
>
> I do like that the C-7000 has a built in lens cover.
>
> I'm looking for a replacement, an affordable one, for my lost C-4000.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to keep
> track of memories.

Related resources
July 15, 2005 8:41:35 PM

"Matti Vuori" <mvuori@koti.soon.fi> wrote in message
> "Bryan" <bryan.459@pac.bell.net> wrote in
>
>> I need to replace my Olympus C-4000.
>> I lost it! That's why I need to replace it.
>> (...)
>> Any suggestions? I'm no photographer; just a family guy trying to
>> keep track of memories.
>
> It seems like you would really like another C-4000. Why not buy a used
> one? For example eBay would seem to have a couple available.
>
> As for the current cameras, since C-7000 seems a little small to you, try
> the 5060, 7070 or 8080, all of which are a bit sturdier and offer a more
> wideangle lens, more like the one on the C-4000.
>
> --
> Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm&gt;

It's a great suggestion, but I am leaning toward upgraded technology since a
replacement is mandatory. I will, however, keep an eye out for a used
C-4000 at the stores; who knows, maybe someone will sell me the one I lost!
July 15, 2005 8:45:34 PM

"Q" <hugemoth@access4less.net> wrote in message
> One of the reasons I've used Oly cameras for years is the fact that they
> used AA batteries. When it came time to upgrade last time I went with the
> 8080 even though I was a bit concerned about the proprietary battery. I
> like the proprietary battery because it lasts a very long time and I found
> new spares on ebay for $6 each. The cheap batteries have been working fine
> now for 9 months.
>
> I also thought I would like to use the smart media cards I already had but
> since the maximum capacity is only 128 megs they just aren't big enough to
> be of much use. The 8080 uses compact flash and XD both.

Am I being unreasonable about the proprietary battery? I thought it was
about $37 for the battery!
Still, I do like a larger camera for my large and mildly arthritic hands.
July 16, 2005 12:35:26 AM

I wouldn't base my decision on which camera to buy on which type of
batteries it uses. What I would do is to check to see if that particular
type of battery is available on ebay for cheap. Buy an Oly BLM1 battery
from Oly and it'll cost you $37 but you can buy a cheap copy that works
just fine for $5 or $10 which is less than a pack of 4 NMIH cells. The
camera will come with one battery and a charger. Pick up a couple extra
batteries on ebay and you'll be set for years.

Bryan wrote:

> Am I being unreasonable about the proprietary battery? I thought it was
> about $37 for the battery!
> Still, I do like a larger camera for my large and mildly arthritic hands.

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 6:33:18 PM

In article <OKRBe.2675$Rv7.1880@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "Bryan"
<bryan.459@pac.bell.net> wrote:

> Am I being unreasonable about the proprietary battery? I thought it was
> about $37 for the battery!
> Still, I do like a larger camera for my large and mildly arthritic hands.

Brian-

I have had an older C-3040Z Olympus camera for several years. About the
time the C-8080 came out, I bought the Canon Rebel 300D. A friend at work
had the C-8080, and it easily out-performed my Canon. (Except for the
greater number of pixels, I think the C-3040Z out-performs it as well!)

You're not being unreasonable about the proprietary battery, especially if
you expect to keep the camera for many years. In several years when your
initial supply of batteries have all died, it may not be so easy to get
new ones. Good or bad, most of us replace digital cameras because of
obsolescence rather than wear-out, so battery rarity has not been a
serious problem.

On the battery issue alone, I prefer the older Olympus option of using
either four AA cells or a pair of CR-V3 Lithium batteries. NiMH AA cells
self-discharge over time, so when you do need them they may let you down.
New cells aren't as bad, but in a few months they can need weekly charging
to be dependable. Although I rarely use it, I've had the same CR-V3
batteries in my C-3040Z for a couple of years now and they still are going
strong.

Fred
!