AMD Llano a8-3870k vs Trinity a10-5800k

vampm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Any knows whats the performance if these two are benchmarked in the same frequences?

IN CPU PART:

I saw the comparison article, and considering that the trinity had 800mhz more in cpu (dont count the turbo), the results were almost the same in some tests, and llano was faster at some cases.

IN GPU PART:

trinity is faster in this, BUT: it has 200mhz faster clock. What if oc the llano and test them?

Does anyone knows a core to core and clock to clock comparison for those two? Also what about the prises??

vampm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I am wrighting this because I want to to buy new pc and I have this dillema.

If I take llano, i buy a dead socket, hence a dead motherboard; but it seems that with litle overclock its faster than trinity.

BUT, if I buy trinity (still dont know prices, but I considering that they are about he same as llano), i buy a motherboard that in future i can upgrade another cpu.

The trinity gpu is much faster. Would take more than an overclock llano to beat it.

The cpu isn't much faster but should still be better than llano. overclocked llano will probably beat trinity but not when you overclock trinity too.

Not in all benches, the cpu is weaker while in others it does beat Llano but that is mainly due to the clock speed advantages. It is the stronger gpu that people are going to notice in gaming.

I didn't say that you were willing to overclock; someone else mentioned it with Llano and I addressed that.

why does clock to clock performance matter if you don't overclock?

vampm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Because it shows the true difference between those two.

Even int he gpu part: what about opencl and gpgpu? Trinity has fewer radeon cores and vliw4 wich means minus one executin unit from llano's vliw5; trinity is clocked @ 800mhz, llano @ 600mhz; If someone can overclock llano's gpu by 200mhz, i think it will outperform the triniry when it comes to opencl and gpgpu apps

You can overclock Trinity even more, so that's irrelevant if you really care about OpenCL/GPGPU programming, then you should get a Radeon 7750 discrete card that is farsuperior to either of them. Also, the fifth execution unit of a VLIW core isn't really used at all (even the fourth is generally underutilized). It was left out for good reason.

The core count difference is the advantage, not the execution unit *advantage* per core. GCN proves quite excellently that four execution units per core can be far better than five.

I don't remember that exactly. You already had that tomshardware review link, you could look at it and compare clock frequencies and performance numbers. Sorry that I couldn't be as helpful on that one :(

trinity should be 10% faster than llano at the same clock for the gpu.

480 vliw5 shaders = 384 vliw4 shaders pretty much.
For opencl, trinity should be much better because it has a much better memory traffic controller than llano.

VLIW4 isn't a very good arch for compute. A better memory controller doesn't change that, unfortunately :( However, VLIW5 sucks at it too, so it's not much of a loss either. The problem is VLIW itself. It's good for graphics, but it can't handle most compute tasks very well. GCN is physically similar to VLIW4, but it's ISA is RISC SIMD instead of VLIW MIMD and there are other changes, but still. Point is that ditching VLIW was a core part of the improvements.

I'd expect that to be fairly similar. Trinity's main advantage in CPU performance per core is that it can hit higher frequencies at lower power consumption than Llano can.

vampm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Are u sure aoiut consumption? And as far as i ve seen, llano is better at cpu than trinity at some cases, and it has a 800mhz difference, which is something that it cannot be ignored.

If you're thinking of the Trinity A6, then that's because it's a dual-core CPU instead of a quad-core CPU. If you're referring to the 3ds Max test, then that's because Llano has a slightly more efficient memory controller (Trinity can hit higher frequencies, but at the same memory frequency, its memory controller gets slightly less bandwidth, so the 3ds Max test's reliance on the RAM drive gives Llano advantage). Solid Works also prefered Llano very slightly because of the memory bandwidth advantage. The Trinity cores are still superior CPU cores at the higher frequency, but they have inferior memory bandwidth feeding them and it shows in these memory-bandwidth intensive workloads.

acrobat.png

This is a good example of a CPU-oriented, single-threaded task. Llano doesn't come very close. When Llano wins and wins slightly, that's clear evidence of the minor memory bandwidth being issue presented here:
sandra%20memory.png

However, Trinity supports higher frequency memory, so you can simply overclock the memory or buy a higher frequency kit and solve that issue. Trinity gets the memory bandwidth advantage when this is done and can then pull ahead in the memory-bandwidth limited tasks.