Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Llano a8-3870k vs Trinity a10-5800k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 20, 2012 9:55:43 PM

Any knows whats the performance if these two are benchmarked in the same frequences?

IN CPU PART:

I saw the comparison article, and considering that the trinity had 800mhz more in cpu (dont count the turbo), the results were almost the same in some tests, and llano was faster at some cases.

IN GPU PART:

trinity is faster in this, BUT: it has 200mhz faster clock. What if oc the llano and test them?

Does anyone knows a core to core and clock to clock comparison for those two? Also what about the prises??
September 20, 2012 10:03:19 PM

I am wrighting this because I want to to buy new pc and I have this dillema.

If I take llano, i buy a dead socket, hence a dead motherboard; but it seems that with litle overclock its faster than trinity.

BUT, if I buy trinity (still dont know prices, but I considering that they are about he same as llano), i buy a motherboard that in future i can upgrade another cpu.
a c 177 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 20, 2012 11:26:13 PM

Well overall the A10 will be better and if i remember seeing a pricing somewhere just the cpu with a hsf will be only $30ish more than a new A8 3870k
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2012 2:39:03 AM

The trinity gpu is much faster. Would take more than an overclock llano to beat it.

The cpu isn't much faster but should still be better than llano. overclocked llano will probably beat trinity but not when you overclock trinity too.
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2012 2:51:38 AM

Trinity is considerably faster than Llano in both CPU and graphics performance and has more overclocking headroom. If you're willing to overclock Llano, then why aren't you considering overclocking Trinity?
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2012 1:28:00 PM

blazorthon said:
Trinity is considerably faster than Llano in both CPU and graphics performance and has more overclocking headroom. If you're willing to overclock Llano, then why aren't you considering overclocking Trinity?


Not in all benches, the cpu is weaker while in others it does beat Llano but that is mainly due to the clock speed advantages. It is the stronger gpu that people are going to notice in gaming.
September 21, 2012 8:22:08 PM

blazorthon said:
Trinity is considerably faster than Llano in both CPU and graphics performance and has more overclocking headroom. If you're willing to overclock Llano, then why aren't you considering overclocking Trinity?


I am not willing to overclock, read more carefully next time. I want to see a core to core, clock to clock performance.

check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2012 8:57:31 PM

vampm said:
I am not willing to overclock, read more carefully next time. I want to see a core to core, clock to clock performance.

check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...


I didn't say that you were willing to overclock; someone else mentioned it with Llano and I addressed that.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2012 9:57:41 PM

vampm said:
I am not willing to overclock, read more carefully next time. I want to see a core to core, clock to clock performance.

check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

why does clock to clock performance matter if you don't overclock?
September 21, 2012 10:16:04 PM

Because it shows the true difference between those two.

Even int he gpu part: what about opencl and gpgpu? Trinity has fewer radeon cores and vliw4 wich means minus one executin unit from llano's vliw5; trinity is clocked @ 800mhz, llano @ 600mhz; If someone can overclock llano's gpu by 200mhz, i think it will outperform the triniry when it comes to opencl and gpgpu apps
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2012 11:09:06 PM

vampm said:
Because it shows the true difference between those two.

Even int he gpu part: what about opencl and gpgpu? Trinity has fewer radeon cores and vliw4 wich means minus one executin unit from llano's vliw5; trinity is clocked @ 800mhz, llano @ 600mhz; If someone can overclock llano's gpu by 200mhz, i think it will outperform the triniry when it comes to opencl and gpgpu apps


You can overclock Trinity even more, so that's irrelevant if you really care about OpenCL/GPGPU programming, then you should get a Radeon 7750 discrete card that is farsuperior to either of them. Also, the fifth execution unit of a VLIW core isn't really used at all (even the fourth is generally underutilized). It was left out for good reason.
September 21, 2012 11:46:12 PM

This was in games, thas why vliw4 now. But in gpgpu computing, the more, the better!
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2012 11:50:08 PM

vampm said:
This was in games, thas why vliw4 now. But in gpgpu computing, the more, the better!


The core count difference is the advantage, not the execution unit *advantage* per core. GCN proves quite excellently that four execution units per core can be far better than five.
September 21, 2012 11:55:21 PM

gcn?
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 12:01:26 AM

vampm said:
gcn?


That's the micro-architecture used in the Radeon 7xxx cards with 28nm GPUs. They're compute beasts that can make Nvidia's Fermi look like a lightweight. Graphics-Core-Next.
September 22, 2012 12:23:41 AM

so @ the same mhz, trinity is still ahad of llano? if so, by what percent?
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 12:59:11 AM

vampm said:
so @ the same mhz, trinity is still ahad of llano? if so, by what percent?


I don't remember that exactly. You already had that tomshardware review link, you could look at it and compare clock frequencies and performance numbers. Sorry that I couldn't be as helpful on that one :( 
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 22, 2012 1:28:15 AM

trinity should be 10% faster than llano at the same clock for the gpu.

480 vliw5 shaders = 384 vliw4 shaders pretty much.
For opencl, trinity should be much better because it has a much better memory traffic controller than llano.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 2:13:22 AM

esrever said:
trinity should be 10% faster than llano at the same clock for the gpu.

480 vliw5 shaders = 384 vliw4 shaders pretty much.
For opencl, trinity should be much better because it has a much better memory traffic controller than llano.


VLIW4 isn't a very good arch for compute. A better memory controller doesn't change that, unfortunately :(  However, VLIW5 sucks at it too, so it's not much of a loss either. The problem is VLIW itself. It's good for graphics, but it can't handle most compute tasks very well. GCN is physically similar to VLIW4, but it's ISA is RISC SIMD instead of VLIW MIMD and there are other changes, but still. Point is that ditching VLIW was a core part of the improvements.
September 22, 2012 4:19:15 PM

So, trinity gpu is a bit better @ the same speed. Thats good, but what abouit the cpu, per core and per ghz?
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 4:21:58 PM

vampm said:
So, trinity gpu is a bit better @ the same speed. Thats good, but what abouit the cpu, per core and per ghz?


I'd expect that to be fairly similar. Trinity's main advantage in CPU performance per core is that it can hit higher frequencies at lower power consumption than Llano can.
September 22, 2012 6:16:33 PM

Are u sure aoiut consumption? And as far as i ve seen, llano is better at cpu than trinity at some cases, and it has a 800mhz difference, which is something that it cannot be ignored.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 6:36:12 PM

vampm said:
Are u sure aoiut consumption? And as far as i ve seen, llano is better at cpu than trinity at some cases, and it has a 800mhz difference, which is something that it cannot be ignored.


If you're thinking of the Trinity A6, then that's because it's a dual-core CPU instead of a quad-core CPU. If you're referring to the 3ds Max test, then that's because Llano has a slightly more efficient memory controller (Trinity can hit higher frequencies, but at the same memory frequency, its memory controller gets slightly less bandwidth, so the 3ds Max test's reliance on the RAM drive gives Llano advantage). Solid Works also prefered Llano very slightly because of the memory bandwidth advantage. The Trinity cores are still superior CPU cores at the higher frequency, but they have inferior memory bandwidth feeding them and it shows in these memory-bandwidth intensive workloads.



This is a good example of a CPU-oriented, single-threaded task. Llano doesn't come very close. When Llano wins and wins slightly, that's clear evidence of the minor memory bandwidth being issue presented here:


However, Trinity supports higher frequency memory, so you can simply overclock the memory or buy a higher frequency kit and solve that issue. Trinity gets the memory bandwidth advantage when this is done and can then pull ahead in the memory-bandwidth limited tasks.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 22, 2012 6:37:30 PM

yes trinity consumes less power even clocked so high. There no point in looking at a normalized clocks for 2 completely different architectures.
September 22, 2012 8:45:44 PM

The adobe, itunes and sandra test are no benchamrks at all for me. As you can see in the other tests, llano 3870k (i am refering only in this llano) is a bit behind the trinity, so thats the reason I would like to see an underclocked 5800k or 5600k @ 3Ghz vs the 3870 @ 3Ghz. And yes there is a very good point in looking at this for that reason.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 8:49:18 PM

vampm said:
The adobe, itunes and sandra test are no benchamrks at all for me. As you can see in the other tests, llano 3870k (i am refering only in this llano) is a bit behind the trinity, so thats the reason I would like to see an underclocked 5800k or 5600k @ 3Ghz vs the 3870 @ 3Ghz. And yes there is a very good point in looking at this for that reason.


Well, it depends on the workload, but the Trinity CPUs are generally faster at a given wattage and generally have similar CPU performance per core per Hz. I don't know of any tests with comparisons at the same clock frequency, but that's usually not a big deal, so it's not surprising. Trinity is faster per core and that's what most people would care about, so that's what's generally tested. I'll look for some comparisons at the same frequencies, but I don't think that I'll find any.
September 23, 2012 1:52:16 AM

Ha, almost forgot it: trinitys in these tests have turbo-core enabled, so we talking about over 3.8ghz up to 4.2 (the 5800)! Now I want to see the results with an underclocked trinity and with turbo-core disabled! I think the results are going to be more clearly after this..
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 23, 2012 4:45:36 AM

Why does the clock matter? If the product is good. What does the turbo or clock speed have to do with it when you compare it to another product?
September 23, 2012 8:40:19 PM

Still you dont get it? This proves that this product is crap, at least at the cpu section. Why do I need so many Ghz (trinity) to do the same job as llano does with fewer?
September 25, 2012 5:20:13 AM

After search in the net, I cant make any good conclusion. Lots of trolling, rummors, propaganda and untrustworthy messed-up benchmarks.

Thats why I want to see a same clock comparison. At least for me, this shows the true performance. And don tell the "per watt" crap; when you buy a monster sized gpu card, then worry about the bill..
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 26, 2012 2:29:29 AM

then whats the metric because per mhz doesn't do anything if trinity is able to clock higher due to design.
!