Dark Uncle

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
ok here is the best I can figure out.
Currently building a new computer set up.
Current parts to date are as follows, but still trying to figure out what is the best "Gaming" graphics card and CPU Chip for this set up as of May 2012.
I want to get something which will do me for the next 3 to 4 years if possible as I am a medically retired and a 100% Disabled VFW, ergo my in coming cash flow is very limited. Every 3 to 4 years I try to get a new top of the line set up and this year decided to try and do it with a self built unit to force me ot learn more about computers.
My current system uses a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT but my frame rate for Star Wars TOR is like 15FPS even at lower resolution settings. I would like to have something which will run this at Max settings at a decent rate while being viable for future games.
OH I only use a single Monitor but it is a BIG one, Hyundai flat screen, Actual Vewable screen size is 52cm wide X 32.5cm high X 60cm diag. can not find any actual drivers for this to date also so running Windows 7 video drivers for it.

However I apologize as I have gotten off track a bit.
Current components I have bought so far for the new system is as as follows:
1X S2011 Asus Rampage IV formula Motherboard
1X Creative Labs X-FI Titanuim Sound Card
2X Blue ray Writable rewritable CD ROMS
2X DDR 3 Ram 8GB Chip Sets = 4X4GB PC3-17000 CL9 G.Skill Ripjaw X K2 "As read off the invoice slip" RAM Chips

Currently I am trying to figure out what the best 6X CPU Chip and Graphics card which would go best for these items. Of course once I have these figured out I can then look at power source.

This is for a simple at home non-networked desk top computer for gaming and working on my Book I hope to some day have published, which will contian a LOT of graphics type items which I am currently using the Adobe Graphics packet do to the graphics and Vectoring for.

Hope this is enough info sorry I no computer guru here, just show me the on off switch and I am usually good to go as a end User, but at 50 yr old I am trying to learn more on the hardware and software end of things ergo why the current project.
David

leignheart

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
hello sir, first off I want to thank you for your service and sacrifice for your country, I'm a proud patriot and my family has been involved in every conflict known to this country, everyone should be proud of our service men and women. now on to the pc, for the CPU I would either advise the 3930k which is 6 cores that is a monster for 600 bucks, or you can get his cousin the 3820 which is 4 cores and is 300 bucks. both are great and will last long. I suggest the 3930k. it will last much longer. as far as gpu goes, that's the most important componant, I would suggest getting a gtx 680 for 500 bucks, you will never regret it. I own the gtx 690 and its the best card in the world. if not the 680 then try and get a 670 for 400 bucks. I suggest the 680. now for the power supply, you should get no less than 750watts, if you want more power that's fine, but don't go less that 750. basically just look up reviews and pick the one that's most efficient and looks the best to you. I really hope I helped you out and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Xeyrx

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Thank you for your elite service.

If you want to buy a tested and VERY high performance system, that has all the bells and whistles. Look here at the Flaming Fast Zombie.

http://www.webstore.com/17775973,auction_id,auction_details

A step down would be just the Fast Zombie, here.

http://www.webstore.com/Fast-Zombie-Extreme-Desktop-i73820-44GHz-16GB-DDR3-1600-SSD-cache-7850-MORE,name,17770156,auction_id,auction_details

Take a look at the system as a whole, look at the explanations in the ads. It should clear up many questions. If you have more questions feel free to message me at my store here

There are so many aspects to improve a system right now. I would first and foremost install a sata 3 SSD, then get a strong but affordable video card. The Radeon HD 7850 is affordable, and very overclockable! You will have a hard time finding nvidia 600 series cards right now, as most places are sold out.

Xeryx

Dark Uncle

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
ok thanks all for the replies. After considerstion and "talking to the money manager, The Wife" it looks like we will be going with the suggested 3060K for CPU. One of our friends who does computer pats whole sale said he could get us a Radeon 7970 dirt cheap.

The problem I found with NewEgg and many other online services was they will not ship over seas. Yes they will ship to an APO address but retirees here in Germany are not allowed that luxury as we can only recive mail that is letter size or smaller at a retiree APO box. We are even double taxed when we buy anything on a military base as we have to pay for the base price and taxes PLUS then have to pay 16% or more on the total price to the German tax office each month for items purchased that given month that includes even food items bought at the base commissary! A rip off for sure but that is the US Governments fault for allowing such regulations to be placed into the SOFA agreement.

Anyway many thanks for everyones input, Oh as for power source we went with a "Dark power pro" 850 watt power source. Current calculations is we can buy the last 2 parts for this in September and October, just in time for the winter beta testing season LOL. Everything else is now bought except the CPU ship and the graph card. Going today to pick up the power supply.

Best to all..
David